An Honest Scary Movie Review

Rhiannon Morin, Editor

What is the best part about Halloween? Some may say candy, or getting dressed up in a costume, but my favorite thing about Halloween is getting scared. So when I saw the trailer for the movie Hell Fest, I got super excited. It appeared to have the perfect combination of jump scares and creepiness to make me never want to step foot into a haunted house again. I was definitely wrong.

The movie is basically about a group of college kids who get tickets to go to Hell Fest, a festival full of haunted houses and attractions. The group eventually encounters a masked serial killer who has turned this festival into his “playground.” The killer stalks them the entire night, and little do they know, but most of them will not make it out alive.

The plot of this movie can be related to any other classic horror film. Think of Halloween, Scream, A Nightmare on Elm Street, and Friday the 13th. Each of these movies has something “scary” following someone or a group of people, who eventually get killed off one by one. This is the same concept in Hell Fest.

I had pretty high hopes for the movie. It was marketed everywhere: across social media, on TV commercial breaks, and even plastered on banners at Six Flags. Also, the trailer stated that it was “from an executive producer of The Walking Dead.” That show has been very successful, so I was looking forward to watching the movie.

If I had to give this movie an honest rating, I would give it a 2 1/2 out of 5 stars. It lacks originality and serious gore, but it does have the heavy-breathing buildup the horror genre is known for. I can’t say I would recommend this movie to anyone else because I was seriously that disappointed.

Rotten Tomatoes gives it a score of 43% with the critic consensus stating, “Hell Fest might give less demanding horror fans a few demanding reasons to scream, but it’s neither clever nor freighting enough to leave much of an impression.” This movie may not be in theaters anymore, but with its lack of luster, it should be on Netflix anytime now.

About the Contributor