Climate Change

Olivea Swanson, Layout

As most of us know, the earth goes through a series of intense changes every year. New landforms are created from various events while others are destroyed. For instance, islands are created from volcanic eruptions. Yet at the same time, hurricanes, tornadoes, and earthquakes create paths of destruction. The earth changes a lot! But one of the more noticeable changes within our earth is weather patterns, and this has to do with our atmosphere heating up over time. This is better known as global warming.

There is an ongoing argument that climate change should not be a concern… yet. Some people believe that climate change isn’t even real. I agree that there are more important problems in this world that are affecting our lives in the present that should be taken care of right now. But at this point in 2018, climate change might need to be looked at a little more closely.

At this point you can’t repair the holes in our atmosphere and if global warming actually does exist, you can’t completely get rid of it, it’s inevitable. In fact according to the Global Climate and Health Alliance, there is a huge hole in the ozone layer hovering over Australia. It is causing a high risk in skin cancer. But there are things you can do to help slow it down.

As humans, we can do a better job of keeping our earth clean; not only for the earth’s well being but for our own good. If it were up to me, I would much rather breathe in clean fresh air compared to smog and polluted air.

We can try to recycle our waste more instead of scattering it around our earth’s surface. Instead of throwing our trash off to the side or on the ground, maybe we can be a little more thoughtful of our surroundings and hold onto our trash until it’s appropriate to dispose of it.

Our world has already begun to take some action within the issue. Car industries are beginning to create electric powered cars to reduce the use of gasoline and diesel. According to Investors.com, Automakers like Tesla, General Motors, Volkswagen, and Toyota Motors are expected to unload millions of cars on the market in the next several years. If we can keep finding new ways to reduce gas and smog then that would be quite the improvement. Right now we have a good start.

Climate change currently isn’t showing any signs of causing major issues. There are other problems in our world that need to be taken care of. But there are things that us humans can do to help reduce the risk of climate change becoming a huge problem. Our generation is going to be a huge part of keeping our environment in check, for the present and our future. If you are interested in getting involved with our earth and environment, I highly recommend checking out OEA here at Oakmont.

About the Contributor