Relatable Stress of High School Teens

Sophia Dellasanta, Author

For most of our lives, we are told that our years in high school are some of the best moments of our lives. There are so many highlights like football games, homecoming weekends, and everyday school memories.

Though all of this is true, it can be difficult to enjoy school with the common stress that comes along with it. The anxious feelings you get when you have too much school work and a ton of other things to do.

Many of you have experienced sitting in your bedroom – it’s about 9 p.m and you have homework in every class, plus a huge chem test.

Already you’ve scanned the review packet and nothing is making sense. You try checking your notes and text friends to see if they understand what’s go on.

Soon you start to feel that pit in your stomach as a million questions run through your head. What if I fail? Is there any other day I can take the test? How much will my grade drop?  

Even in school you find yourself thinking ahead of the moment because of everything you have to get done.

Thinking about each day, traveling from class to class, waiting for the teacher to assign reading questions or math problems.

Often times you can’t go about your school day productively staying focused on one thing at a time. Especially when your mind is anxious thinking about all the homework you have to complete later on.

Even after the school day is done, many students have multiple activities they have to attend from place to place.

There’s rushing to change in the locker room for 2:15 practice, or figuring out a way to make it to a club meeting.

A lot of times it’s hard to admit to yourself, but students encounter stress from everyday activities that participate in. Almost like a heavy feeling weighing on you, as you wonder how/if you can accomplish everything.

There’s no denying that the daily things students do can be very stressful. All of these scenarios are relatable and most students struggle to cope with the stress of school.

Though students go through this everyday throughout the school year, it’s the act of how you work through stress to benefit yourself. A lot of times if you can relate to someone’s stress, not only can you help them but you can help yourself out as well.

Talking it through out loud, or even just taking a break from what you’re doing can make a difference on how you feel.

Obviously, the trouble is that you can’t always control when you get stressed. Overall, I believe that it’s the act that you take to remove yourself from that stressful state.

The truth is that there are so many factors that go along with specific situations. Believe me, I can easily recall all of the questions that spin through my head. Have I done my best work? What if I did this completely wrong? Am I going to be put on the spot about the homework?

However, you’ve most likely experienced these feelings enough times, that you know there’s a way out of that anxious feeling the night before a test.

If you really think about it, is that one thing you’re worried about that huge of a deal? Yes, of course, in the moment it seems like the biggest deal. You feel like nothing else matters than cramming all that information for the SAT that helps determine what college you get into.

Truthfully, I can’t tell you how exactly to handle all the stress you may feel because everyone copes differently. However, it’s also true that you aren’t the only one feeling overwhelmed with your life. Everyone experiences the daily stress, but having people with you can make a huge difference throughout the day.

Try to take things one step without overthinking. It’s important to find methods that work for you because you have control over what you feel and think.

Sometimes the best way to look at it is thinking, in 5 years is this really going to matter? Is it worth using all my energy stressing about that one math test? Or, can I just take things slow, one day at a time? You’ve already studied the best you can, which is all you can do. It can make  all the difference by just putting everything in perspective, instead of wasting negative, stressful energy.

There’s no denying the stress that lots of students feel during their days at school. However, it’s a lot better to accept the fact of stress. Instead of looking at how much you have to do, think of how far you’ve already gotten. One day at a time, and remember there’s no wrong in needing a helping hand sometimes. You’re only human, and it’s a natural thing to feel stressed; there’s no shame in that at all.