Medical Marijuana Pros

Lindsey LaFrance, Author

In recent years, medical marijuana has rapidly grown into a commonly used medicine to treat a variety of ailments. Its use has been widely studied by medical professionals, researchers, and drug companies who have determined how it may be used to treat symptoms of illnesses.

that using the whole, unprocessed or extracts have been prescribed to treat symptoms of illnesses.

This plant has helped with chronic pain including: arthritis, back pain, chronic migraines, and nerve damage. Although other painkillers could be prescribed, they can be dangerously addictive, whereas cannabis is not.

According to a 2018 medicine.net survey, the most common reasons people use marijuana are for  pain, anxiety, depression, muscle spasticity etc. Studies have shown that pharmaceutical cannabis can also decrease nausea caused by chemotherapy. More specifically, the cannabinoids known as THC and CBD are known to relax the body. For example, a man made chemical, dronabinol, is a derivative of THC and has been found to help improve food intake and prevent weight loss in patients with HIV.

According to a study on epilepsy.com in 2018, medical marijuana has been shown to cut down seizures in people with epilepsy. As CBD relaxes the body, it significantly decreases the frequency of convulsive seizures in children and adults. Because epilepsy is common in people with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD), many parents/caregivers administer marijuana to this population.

According to USA Today, some parents have reported that giving their children cannabis oil has helped to manage harmful or self-injurious behaviors.

Medical marijuana has helped with reducing muscle spasms, says CBS News. A study in 2012 has reported that it helps to relief multiple sclerosis. MS is a disease in which the immune system eats away at the protective covering of nerves.

Recently, Massachusetts has opened two dispensaries within the state that allow for the purchase of recreational and medical marijuana. In Leicester, a dispensary called ‘Cultivate’ was recently opened and because of its immediate financial success, the owners plan to open another store in Framingham soon. A second dispensary, NETA, in Northampton has also seen large crowds and traffic problems.