Winter Fun

Olivea Swanson, Author

Laura Swanson
People skiing down Loon Mountain

Winter is fast approaching, and as the seasons change so do our activities. In the summer, swimming and going to the beach are highly popular activities due to the stifling heat and for enjoyment purposes. But the winter forces us to change activities due to the freezing temperatures. Even though the weather is cold, that doesn’t mean there aren’t things to do. Here are some fun activities to keep you occupied during the winter.

If it’s cold enough outside, and time has been given for the pond or lake to freeze over, ice skating is a fun activity to partake in. In Westminster, Crocker Pond or Wyman Lake would be an option locally. If you’re inexperienced it may take some time to get the hang of skating, but with a little bit of practice it can be really fun. If the lake or pond isn’t really the place for you, then check out skating rink such as Gardner Veterans’ Arena. Ice skating is a good way to get outside and enjoy the winter, but it’s also a great way to exercise. You can always rent a pair of skates if you go to the ice skating rinks if you don’t feel like spending an immense amount of money on ice skates.

Another activity that may cost you some money but is well worth a try is skiing and snowboarding. We have a mountain close by that we can use to our advantage – Mt. Wachusett. Yes you will have to spend money on equipment whether it’s buying or renting it. But it’s well worth the cost. If you’re new to either snowboarding or skiing, I suggest you take a few lessons first before you actually go off on your own. Mt. Wachusett is a great place to go skiing or snowboarding with your friends and family. If you’re really into skiing and snowboarding, there are more challenging mountains in the New England Region that you can go to.

If you’re a fan of spending your time in the snow, then snow forts are always an option. Grab a few friends and if there is plenty of snow on the ground, you can spend your day creating a giant snow fort.

Other activities you can do with your friends is have a snowball fight, make a snowman, or create snow angels. Those kind of activities are cost friendly and can be very fun.

If you’re lucky and happen to own a snowmobile then that’s another activity for passing time in the winter. If you have a big yard or take your snowmobile to an open area, snowmobiling can be a blast! Personally, snowmobiling is one of my favorite things to do in the winter. Snowmobiles can be rented, but still come at a pretty hefty cost depending on the year of the snowmobile and the model.

One of my favorite activities to do when I was younger and can still be fun now is sledding. Find a giant hill with some friends and you can spend hours sledding down a giant hill. Overlook has a enormous hill perfect for any kind of sledding.

If it’s too cold to go outside you can always grab a few blankets, make some hot chocolate, and watch a movie. That’s never a bad idea.

Winter can be a lull at times. The cold weather can alter the way we do things sometimes. But there are still plenty of fun things to do trying to get through the long and slow season.

About the Writer