Oakmonitor staff attends HS Newspaper Banquet at Suffolk University

Mark Nevard

Oakmonitor Staff with WBZ Tiffany Chan at Suffolk University HS Journalism Awards Banquet

The Oakmonitor staff wants to thank Dr. Stewart for supporting us in attending the Greater Boston High School Newspaper Banquet. We traveled to Suffolk University by van where the competition was held. There, we heard keynote speaker Tiffany Chan, a reporter for WBZ-TV,  speak on her career in journalism and her experience at Suffolk University. She spoke of the importance and variety she sees each day, covering fires, politics, investigations, protests, and strikes. Chan discussed the difference that journalists can make in the world and how we can connect with all different types of people. More personally, she talked about her Asian American upbringing and how it took her a while to embrace her heritage as a reporter. She shared that celebrating our differences helps us connect with others, and ultimately makes us better at our jobs. Most evident was Chan’s pride and passion for journalism. It was an inspirational experience for The Oakmonitor staff and we hope to attend again next year!

Thank you for the invite Suffolk University Journalism Department, Mr. Charles St. Amand, and Mr. Nate Stewart.