• April 26Morgan's Message Girls' Lacrosse Game May 2nd 4:00 PM Start (ceremony before)
  • April 26Morgan's Message Baseball Game May 1st 3:30 PM Start (ceremony before)

Winter Ensembles Compete in New Bedford

Winter Ensembles Compete in New Bedford
Autumn Jarvenpaa

On Saturday March 23rd, Oakmont Overlook winter percussion and winter guard set off to compete in another NESBA competition. The weather was not on their side and the wet windy day threw people off; nevertheless, both performances blew the judges away.

The winter guard was first, they were thrown off by the start with their arrival time at the school being pushed back by an hour, meaning they only had 45 minutes to practice at home before performing on the floor at the competition. Nonetheless, they got to the school with their game faces on and did what they could before heading onto the bus. The bus ride was long but one of the guard members was nice enough to make up a playlist to keep us entertained on the ride there. Once we arrived at New Bedford high school we got inside and did some more warmups before getting on the floor. There was a mistake with the music but the crowd was super helpful and considerate and the guard was very professional and stayed set and ready until the music officially started. The Judges, coaches, and audience members all agreed that the performance and facial expressions given by the guard was outstanding, they really portrayed the thieves that they are supposed to be, and with a brand new gem, they blew away the audience. Scoring 2nd with a score of 84.98, amazing job to the Oakmont Winter Guard! 

The winter percussion was after, and they were in for a wild ride. The drive there was even more of a downpour than the guards, they had to close all the windows so they didn’t get rained on, big thanks to Ryan Mayne for running around a moving bus to close the windows for people! The bus was more talkative than other times and when they got to the school it was absolutely pouring. So the wonderful parent volunteers who were smart enough to bring ponchos handed them out. They had to run in the rain to get their stuff and then got to warm up in the lobby for about 20 minutes. They got to the floor and put on an amazing performance despite all of the negatives beforehand. Then, Mr. DeMoura made the wise decision to get the kids home right away instead of waiting until awards due to the weather, but they learned that they once again, got 1st with a score of 86. Winter Percussion is certainly on a roll! Despite a very stressful before and after the performance, the winter percussion never ceases to put on an amazing, intricate, and striking performance. And we are all happy that they all got home safe! Amazing job Winter Percussion!

The Saturday competition was certainly a whirlwind for both winter ensembles but they still pushed through and gave it their all, good job to both and good luck next week in Salem, MA!