Breaking News

Winter Percussion Gets Their Golden Ticket at Finals

Gina Richey

On April 7th, Oakmont’s Winter Percussion traveled to Dartmouth High School for their final competition of the season. 

That morning, the Winter Percussion had a short rehearsal where they ran their Willy Wonka-themed show one last time before heading off for the big performance. Inside Dartmouth High School, the ensemble was recognized by many families and other performing students for the impression they had been leaving week after week with their show-stopping performances. 

Oakmont performed their show Pure Imagination at 3:10 in the afternoon which included all of the different characters from the well-beloved storyline. Willy Wonka was played by Nolan Leclair, Charlie Bucket was played by Kaden Aubin, Veruca Salt was portrayed by the snare drums, Violet Beauregarde was portrayed by the flub drums, Mike Teevee was portrayed by the tenor drums, Augustus Gloop was portrayed by the bass drums, and the Oompa Loompas were portrayed by the front ensemble. The show included moments such as when all of the kids enter the factory with their golden tickets, the introduction of all of the individual characters, the mischievous activity of the Oompa Loompas, and is followed by a costume change. The drumline exits the floor and closes the factory gates to put on Wonka’s jacket and hat to represent Wonka passing the factory on to Charlie. The gates open back up and everyone comes out united in the same costume. Once all of the Wonkas leave the floor at the end of the show, Kaden and Nolan playing Charlie and Willy Wonka, reenact the moment when Wonka gives Charlie his hat. Oakmont left the floor with the entire audience cheering them on.

Awards followed directly after Oakmont’s performance at 3:20. NESBA (New England Scholastic Band Association) awarded a scholarship to one of the performers at finals and it was given to Oakmont’s Kielyn DeMoura! Kielyn is a senior who is heavily involved with the music program and she is also the Head Drum Major of the Oakmont-Overlook Spartans. After Kielyn was awarded her scholarship, they announced the scores of each division. Oakmont’s Winter Percussion was awarded first place in Percussion Marching Scholastic Regional A with a score of 92.15! On the Winter Percussion’s way home, they were surprised with police escorts to celebrate their accomplishment. Great job, Spartans!