• May 7Boys' Lacrosse Senior Night TONIGHT @7 PM

Q&A With Oakmont Fall Athletes and Coaches

What are the vibes with the fall season?
Eric Dawley
Fall teams hope to get back to post season play

As the best time of year has approached us, so many good things are happening, especially for Oakmont sports teams. I spoke with some athletes and coaches who helped share their excitement for this season. 

• After a couple weeks of practice, what makes you the most excited about your team?

“We are coming together as a team and it allows me to see the potential of each player and their  willingness to work hard. It’s one of the most exciting times of the season.” -Coach Roy, Varsity Girls’ Field Hockey Coach

“The talent level that we have, the commitment towards trying to perform at their highest level, we definitely have a good chance of being in the mix.”- Coach Stiles, Varsity Boys’ Soccer Coach

• With the seniors that graduated last year, have your incoming seniors maintained the leadership you want for your team?

“Yes, we have an increased number of seniors who have fit the role or exceeded it already of what the expectations are for the group and where we are headed as a team.” -Coach Roy

“Yes returning captain, Liam Mullane and Kaden Yoder who has been with the program for 4 years is now a captain. I use the term “never underestimate the power of a senior”. They know it’s their last hoorah and their last time playing together. They have been great with younger guys and helped them become better players.”- Coach Stiles

• Moving forward, what are the goals for your team?

“One of my goals is always for each individual to be better than when they came in and that might be skill wise, as a team, or even mentally tougher, so those are goals for the individuals. As for the team, working on unity and feeling comfortable with everybody and supported. Trusting each other especially when on the field. Ultimately to have the most successful season that we possibly can and go into the playoffs.”- Coach Roy

“Pretty straight forward win the league title, win the central mass title again, and play on the last day of fall sports, November 18th because that’s the state final. A lot of hard work and a lot of effort needs to be put in, but that’s where we want to be.” – Coach Stiles

The captains of our varsity field hockey, football, and girls’ soccer teams were asked similar questions from the teams’ point of view.

• Does your team have a good vibe going into this season? 

“Field hockey always has a good vibe going into our season. Every year, everybody is excited and ready to play.” – Haley Bosselait, Girls’ Varsity Field Hockey Captain

“The football team is always positive going into the football season.  We always have high hopes going into the season and enter every game with the belief that we will win.” – Max Stone, Varsity Football Captain

“We do have a great vibe for the season, we’re all excited for this year, but we’re in a rut with no wins yet so lately our heads have been down.”- Dani Burke, Girls’ Varsity Soccer Captain

• What is helping the team chemistry as the season progresses?

“Spags and having good practices, especially when we play our favorite game of wolfpack in the gym.” -Haley Bosselait

“Going to Buffalo Wild Wings together, hanging out in the locker room, and spag”- Max Stone

“Preseason started early for us so we have been hanging out and playing together in my opinion longer than other teams. Going out for breakfast after Sunday morning practices, spag dinners, and film/ team talks in coaches’ classroom allows us to get to know each other better outside of soccer and has definitely helped with our chemistry on the field”- Dani Burke

• How do you feel about the leadership on your team?

“The leadership is widely spread throughout the whole team. Although we do have captains, non-captains have also been great leaders for the whole program.”- Haley Bosselait

“Everyone is expected to hold each other accountable.  The way I view it, the captains need to make sure everyone is a leader, not just be leaders themselves.”- Max Stone

“Our leaders this year in my opinion have stepped up well and adjusted quickly but I do think our communication on the field could be better and our leaders mindsets could be adjusted better to support the team in a positive way.”- Dani Burke

The one thing that all of our coaches and players can come to an agreement about is that it’s going to be a great season! Come watch and support all of these athletes and coaches throughout the season #RollSpartans

BIG GAMES!!!! 

Football- Hudson 10/6

Girls Soccer- Quabbin 9/26, @Maynard 10/10

Girls Field Hockey- Leominster 10/13