• May 15Oakmont baseball ranked 1st in state . . . other sports also ranked
  • May 15Oakmont hosts robotics competition Thursday
  • May 9Prom Saturday 5/18 at the Colonial Hotel!

Opinion: Rabbits are Underrated Animals

I’m a “short and sweet” type of person, so I’ll get right to it: rabbits are underrated companions. I have a few odd passions in life, and one of them? Well, rabbits. 

As dramatic as it sounds, adopting our rabbits has changed my life, and everything that has ever come out of it? Completely positive. 

I enjoy expressing to people how lovely these animals really can be. They have always made me smile (even when throwing tantrums) and they have such big and unique personalities. I’ve been the proud owner of three rabbits in my life, and they are all different.  

Chewie was the sweetest animal I ever met, always had love to give. Ringo is a diva, who will let you know when something doesn’t go his way. Lastly we have Pebbles, a friendly Netherland Dwarf Rabbit with some spunk. 

By writing this article I hope to be able to give some fun information to those who may not know very much about rabbits, while also spreading a greater appreciation for these lovely creatures. I thought that I would share from personal experience, and give you the best surprises I’ve had when owning these animals, with the inclusion of some quick facts. Like I said earlier: “short and sweet.” 

Now I understand that people aren’t going to read this article and suddenly go, “I’m going to get a rabbit!” My ultimate goal with this is to bring a smile to someone’s face. 

Now enough delaying: let’s talk about rabbits. 

“Zoomies.” Ever heard of them? This is an act of pure excitement in rabbits. It’s when a rabbit runs around the room (as fast as they possibly can). Sometimes it’s a form of big circles, while other times it looks sporadic, with seemingly no pattern at all. For a first time rabbit owner with no prior knowledge of “zoomies,” it can be pretty scary to experience for the first time. A “what the heck is wrong with my rabbit?” will definitely cross the mind. I know that is the exact thought I had. I feared that my rabbit was having a neurological problem, but once I looked it up, the results were all about “zoomies.” Rabbits simply have no other way to express their excitement. Admittedly, I do smile thinking about that.

However, explaining something can only get you so far. Maybe you read the above paragraph, and thought, “this doesn’t really sell the idea to me.” Here’s where the internet comes in handy. Go look up rabbits doing “zoomies.” I’d argue it’s worth every moment of your time.

Next, we have “binkying,” also known as “popcorn.” This is another way rabbits express themselves, usually happiness. This tends to be a jump in the air, with a kick of the back legs while airborne. I’ve seen quite the variety of this happy jump that they perform. My personal favorite is when the rabbit is just standing there, then they jump straight up, and give such a big kick they change direction mid-air. One of my rabbits is a specialist at this; he excels in theatrics. There is also the classic “Oh no, he jumped with so much force and now he’s going to fall into something.” That one always makes me cringe. But the rabbit? Brushes it off like a toddler that just tripped. What do I think is so special about this behavior? Each rabbit has their own version. Ask someone who has a rabbit, I know I would tell you that depending on the jump, the rabbit is expressing something specific. Or… remember what I said about how explaining can only get you so far? Well, you know what to do. 

Now, this next behavior pulls on my heartstrings: the classic “flop.” If any behavior makes me the happiest, it’s this one. This indicates a completely content rabbit. When a rabbit “flops,” they roll over onto their side (often suddenly), and may close their eyes. This is a behavior that explaining it simply cannot do it any justice. Must I tell you what to do? I really love this one because it also shows that a rabbit trusts you and feels comfortable in your presence. I know to me, having any animal’s complete trust means millions. Especially when this is a creature that is naturally slow to trust because of their prey instincts. 

By writing specifically about some rabbit behaviors, it’s a quick way to provide greater depth on rabbits as a whole, as well as give small (but also fact-based) reasons as to why these animals truly are wonderful. Now knowing all that I know about rabbits, I not only have a greater appreciation for domestic ones, but also a respect for wild ones as well. While this article does not really go into instinctual behaviors and biological facts (a later article maybe?), there is no doubt that these are delightful animals. 

So, going back to my claim of rabbits being underrated. When I say that, I simply mean that I don’t believe rabbits have the hype they deserve. When thinking of pets, cats and dogs first come to mind, with maybe hamsters, fish, or even reptiles after that. But a rabbit? I’ll be so bold as to say that it doesn’t come to mind for most people. I know for me (even after owning rabbits) they don’t come immediately to my mind. 

I think people don’t realize that a relationship can be built with a rabbit. Like a cat or dog, they will express their emotions and show their love for you, which we as humans tend to be suckers for. I understand that people may prefer a cat or dog, but allow yourself to consider rabbits for a moment. Appreciate them.   

View Comments (1)