• May 15Oakmont baseball ranked 1st in state . . . other sports also ranked
  • May 15Oakmont hosts robotics competition Thursday
  • May 9Prom Saturday 5/18 at the Colonial Hotel!

OPINION: People are People

Brenton Mattox

People.

What does it mean to be a person? The way people love, hate, forgive, forget. 

The way people love someone when they don’t know if they’ll leave. The way people forgive someone that does. The way people feel when someone can’t come back. The way people still look for them. The way people move on.  

The way people fight and scream, throw and break. The way people hurt themselves to keep you with them.

The way a life can change through the connection of a single conversation. The way people judge without reading each other’s stories. The way people will be the only ones to truly know how they feel. The way people still try to understand.

The way people end lives. The way people save lives with the wrapping of arms. The way people can be cold, and another leaves their warmth to feel them. The way a person can be empty. The way a person can be filled. 

The way brothers bully. The way brothers care but don’t know how to show it. The way brothers father. The way brothers hold each other.

The way life folds a heart. The way people unwrap it again. 

The way parents care, but still can’t figure out how to care for themselves. The way children absorb things around them. The way sons hold themselves up when their fathers can’t. The way mothers brush the hair of their children in the mirror. 

The way broken people feel alone.  The way broken friends can hold each other together.

The way she holds his hand. The way he lets go. The way he falls to his knees. The way she says yes. 

The way they think until the consciousness fades from their eyes. The way they feel when they hear the sounds in the morning. 

The way someone who believes in you becomes frustrated when you don’t. 

The way their posture shifts as they become self-aware. 

The way she stands in the rain. The way he builds her a roof. 

The way people feel about other people. The way people aren’t people without each other.