• May 9Prom Saturday 5/18 at the Colonial Hotel!
  • May 9Varsity Baseball and Softball Cancer Awareness Game- Monday 5/13

My Favorite Foods for Thanksgiving

As a Hispanic girl, Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays. It’s one of my favorites mainly because of the huge feast that I always get to eat. I love all of the food that I get to eat every year, and the moments that I get to share with my friends and family. Here are some of my favorite foods that I eat every year for Thanksgiving. 

My favorite food has to be the turkey. The turkey is always so tender and seasoned. I just love the turkey all around. I love it when my family serves it with a side of rice. Rice and turkey is just the best combination, and when they are both seasoned properly they taste amazing together. This is a very common dish in Hispanic culture, and especially in my family. 

My second favorite has to be the baked mac and cheese. I love baked mac and cheese. It is so good and cheesy and honestly goes well with the turkey. You may think that it doesn’t taste super great with the turkey on the side, but honestly it really does! Hispanics don’t usually have a bowl of baked mac and cheese on their table for Thanksgiving, but this year I have chosen to make some to have on our table, just for those who would rather eat mac and cheese instead of rice.

My last favorite has to be the pernil. Pernil is pork, and it is so good. We usually eat this with a side of rice and baked beans. If the pernil is evenly cooked and seasoned then it will most likely taste good with anything. Pernil is also really good with Pigeon Peas Rice. This is a typical mix in Hispanic culture, and it is actually so amazing. Generally the taste is so amazing, the seasoning is just close to perfect, and just everything about this combination is great. Pigeon Peas Rice tastes good with a lot of other things too, and it even tastes good on its own. 

Thanksgiving is truly just so fun for my family. Besides all of the food, we always have a great time with each other. We spend a lot of time serving food and eating, but we also love listening to music while the adults love playing dominoes while they eat. I always look forward to it every year. I think that spending that quality time with my family is great, because we get to bond as a family while doing what we like to do -eat so much food!