Breaking News

Opinion: Is the media causing a divide?

Brandon Theriault

There is a major divide that occurs between people of all ages, backgrounds, and personalities. It is a large part of society’s belief, as well as ours, that media is a major factor in this divide. Why and how did this come to be? 

Media is a pretty broad subject and it encapsulates many types of subjects including entertainment, news, social media, and more. With media being a lot easier to access, due to the internet and smart devices, it is causing quite a large schism between all sorts of people.

There’s no question that major news networks pick and determine sides with issues, but are other media outlets also contributing? Social media has contributed to the divide in people in a major way. It provides an echo chamber for people to spread their own opinions, and not everyone may agree with them. Entertainment is also taking a more obvious turn to spreading a message that can divide people who understand the message and those who don’t. 

Teachers and multiple peers, including members of the student government, were asked what they thought about the divisive nature of the media. Most of the answers were similar, though they all were asked randomly. 

Here is some of the information we gathered around Oakmont.

• “It’s having a profound negative divide on people.”  Oakmont Mr. Dana Altobelli, history teacher.
  • “I don’t believe it is necessarily the cause but it is monopolizing it.” Mr. Kris Demoura, music teacher and band director .
  • “Yes, it’s causing a divide.” student council member Holden Wooding
  • “Definitely causing a divide.” Kayden Yoder, an Oakmont senior soccer player
  • “It definitely is!” Harrison Morand, an Oakmonitor staffer
  • “Definitely, because news sources are always making a big deal out of nothing.” Cathal Wells, a member of the student government for the senior class,

As you can see, the overwhelming majority of people claim the same answer to the question, that yes, the media has and is still causing a divide. The question remains, is it intentional or on purpose? Why would the media want to cause a divide? Does the media even know what it’s doing? These are questions that could go unanswered for an indefinite amount of time. 

USAToday found that “70% of Americans agree on the solutions to the current challenges people are facing.” So why are other news outlets such as Fox News and CNN, making articles called A Squad Divide and How America Fractured?  

Media does seem to be a major cause of the divide between people, all you need to do is say what news source you listen to or read, and assumptions are immediately made as soon as you answer. 

This is why every individual person needs to do their own research and take in as much information as they can. It’s not anyone’s fault that they believe what they are shown and told, but it is a problem that the media can take the same situation and make two completely opposing stories out of the situation. 

It is hard to stay neutral in situations, but it is better for the people if the media stays neutral and just thinks about the betterment of everyone, not just someone with their interests.