Breaking News
  • May 7Boys' Lacrosse Senior Night TONIGHT @7 PM

Teachers’ Opinions on Semester Switch

Teachers Opinions on Semester Switch
R. Bouchard

Is the annual semester switch chaos or a fresh start? We all know the tantalizing stress that comes with all new classes and having to readjust to different material. Teachers learning names, students doing ice breakers, the insufferable workload, and basic reminders on subjects that haven’t been touched in a whole year.

However, new classes bring excitement when you start reaching academic goals you may not have been able to achieve before. Changing semesters means leaving behind a class you despised or a grade that wouldn’t go up. 

Do teachers have the same feelings toward the second semester as the students do? Looking from a teacher’s perspective, Mrs. Stacey Brown says, “It is like a do-over… If I didn’t like a lab or activity from semester 1, I can try something different or new for semester 2.” She views this as a great opportunity to develop relationships and strengthen her curriculum. 

Mrs. Jennifer Cote agrees that the next semester is a chance for a new beginning for teachers and students. On the other hand, she mentioned, “I am more sad than usual because I had really great students and classes last semester, so I will miss them a lot.” A bittersweet change.

In Mrs.Beth Campagna’s case, she may be able to see her students again. She appreciates different possibilities from new students and says, “Luckily for me and my students, if they’ve enjoyed Spanish, they are able to continue to the next level and I get the pleasure of teaching them again.”

Another opinion from math teacher Mr.Dylan Billings says, “It had to happen, seems to be going smoothly, hasn’t been an issue.” He found the change to be indifferent, which contrasted against many of the other staff’s responses.

In addition, Mrs. Jane Stafford says, “It is always nice, though, to sort of reset and start fresh halfway through the year… It kind of has the excitement of the first day of school again!” She also briefly mentioned missing her students and made it clear how it is a great new opportunity for both the students and staff to restart.

Ms. Erin Bergin has a very positive outlook on this yearly change. According to Ms. Bergin, “Our culture celebrates the New Year as a new beginning for personal improvement. I see students who are fatigued and tired at the end of semester 1…They take that as a moment to reset their habits and just focus on something new.” She believes this is a good way to break up the year and is helpful to both students and staff.

Mr. Alex Dewhurst agrees, “I generally enjoy the semester turnover. It is stressful, but it is good to have new students and a fresh start.” Instead of focusing on the pressure of encountering new classes, teachers are bringing an encouraging twist to the second semester.

Overall, teachers appreciate the break in the school year and are enthusiastic to see what comes next!