• April 26Morgan's Message Girls' Lacrosse Game May 2nd 4:00 PM Start (ceremony before)
  • April 26Morgan's Message Baseball Game May 1st 3:30 PM Start (ceremony before)

Why napping is great!

Most people like ourselves take naps during the day, while others don’t, so in honor of whoever came up with the great idea of naps, we wanted to write about all the great things there is to love about it. I mean, what’s there not to love? It (in theory) makes you feel more energized and ready to go after you’re finished.

What are the origins of napping? Who created it, and when was it created? Well, it’s thought to have originated in ancient Egypt, although it wasn’t called a nap at that point. The term “napping” comes from the Old English word hnappian, which then evolved into the Old German word hnaffezzan, and so on. Some famous power nappers in history include such individuals as Albert Einstein, Leonardo DaVinci, Winston Churchill, and Aristotle. 

Napping during the day is one of life’s great gifts, especially if you get up earlier in the morning. Which we know most people with school or jobs do. The best part of napping is that when you get up you have more energy for the rest of the day. You also aren’t as tired as you would be, getting up regularly because it wasn’t as deep of a sleep.

It’s a great thing that everyone should try. (Patrick)I love napping; It’s great. I love waking up from a good nap in a cold sweat wondering where I am and when I passed out. Some people even take naps in public; although we don’t recommend this because it’s kind of dangerous. Some people take naps in school, those are smart people, and multitasking is a valid skill. But in my opinion, (Brandon) there is nothing better than when your head hits the pillow of your bed and the pillow is nice and cold. Napping is an experience that people can do any time they want, and oh boy, is it glorious. The sweet solace that is procured when it happens is beyond comparison. 

Despite all the good things about napping, there is a stigma from people that it means it’s lazy or bad for you, even though it’s just you taking adequate care of yourself. When you are tired and can nap, you should take that opportunity. Napping is the remedy to sickness that we call stress. When you’re less stressed and more relaxed, you’re in a better mood overall, and that’s good for you, as well as for the people around you. 

After a nap, you also feel more alert and aware of your surroundings much more than you would normally. This is good for you if you still need to do something that day. It makes doing a task much easier. But why? Why do some people think that a lot of sleep at once is just as good, if not better, than sleeping your normal nightly rest, among smaller naps throughout the day? There are pros and cons for both sides, and we feel as though there are several cons that are involved with taking small naps.

What are the biggest problems that are conceived when napping? “Sleep inertia” is one of these massive problems. Now, what exactly is sleep inertia? Well, it just so happens that practically everyone has experienced it at one point or another. It is that groggy, gross feeling that you get when waking up. That one where your vision is blurry, your breath and saliva taste weird, and you can’t feel your body. At first, this doesn’t seem too harmful, but you figure that out when you realize that the after-effects make you lethargic for at least half an hour. 

That’s only one of the problems, another big one that napping affects is sleep. Sleep is necessary for the human body, we wouldn’t be able to function without it. But when you take short naps throughout the day, your sleeping may be affected poorly. It will make you less tired, and less willing to sleep, and it’s even worse if you have sleep disorders such as insomnia. 

So that’s bad and all, but you got to look at the good side of this. There are certain pros to naps that in our opinion, greatly outweigh the cons. Things like stress and fatigue being reduced have much more potent and long-lasting effects than 30 minutes of being extremely fatigued. In the long run, this is why napping is great.