Breaking News
  • April 26Morgan's Message Girls' Lacrosse Game May 2nd 4:00 PM Start (ceremony before)
  • April 26Morgan's Message Baseball Game May 1st 3:30 PM Start (ceremony before)

Column: Why March is the Worst Month of the Year

Christmas has just passed, and there’s still snow outside. January gives us snow days and a Martin Luther King Jr. long weekend. February flies by with a week off in the shortest month of the year, then there’s March. March has 31 long days that drag on. This is also the only month that has no days off of school. 

I find myself the most unmotivated to accomplish my schoolwork during the third month of the year because of the odd transition. The long stretch between February and April break is always difficult for students and March is the largest chunk of that time. It is an awkward passing time of winter to spring with an unreliable forecast that changes daily.

March weather makes me dazed and confused. The back and forth is unbearable. One day it’s pouring rain and 30 degrees then the next it’s 60 and sunny. Not to mention the countless snowstorms we have been hit with in March, mother nature can never decide what it wants during March. 

For example, on March 14th, 2024, it was 66 degrees outside with the sun beating, and on March 23rd New England was hit with a random snowstorm overnight with a combination of rain, wind, slush, snow, and hail throughout the rest of the day. Each day feels like an unpleasant surprise when it comes to the weather.

Additionally, on March 10th, 2024, we “sprung forward” and adjusted our clocks, and all of America lost an hour of sleep. The whole week after the time change sleep schedules get thrown off balance, the days become hazy and most people are exhausted.

Although the 17th of March is the holiday of St. Patrick’s Day it still doesn’t make up for the downs of this month or give me something to look forward to. St. Patrick’s Day does not give any time off of school or work; not everyone celebrates, so it’s just another average day for those who don’t participate in the festive activities.

A redeeming quality that this month has in 2024 is Easter Sunday. To my surprise, Easter is March 31st. I had assumed that Easter would always roll around in early April but that is not the case this year. “Easter falls on the first Sunday after the full moon that follows the spring equinox” according to azcentral.com. The spring equinox falls on March 19th, the first full moon following is March 25th, and the next Sunday after that is the 31st, which makes Easter Sunday occur on the last day of March.

Although I am a fan of the holiday, we rarely celebrate Easter in March, so this does not change my mind about the month as a whole. Even though March is the month I prefer the least of all twelve I don’t let my negative perspective ruin these few weeks of the year. I think the key to getting through periods you don’t particularly enjoy is attempting to keep a positive attitude and before you know it it’s April!