Breaking News
  • April 26Morgan's Message Girls' Lacrosse Game May 2nd 4:00 PM Start (ceremony before)
  • April 26Morgan's Message Baseball Game May 1st 3:30 PM Start (ceremony before)

Column: Can it just be summer already?

Caylin Joyce

In my mind, it’s already summer.

In reality, it’s just turning spring. 

I’m gaslighting myself into thinking it’s summer. The cold spring wind in the brisk air,  while wearing a tank top and shorts doesn’t bother me- according to my mind. In reality, I’m absolutely freezing. 

Here’s how my mind works in the spring. Raining? It’s okay, it’s basically summer already. Still snowing? Whatever, summer is pretty much already here. 30 degrees outside? It’s fine, the weather will get hotter later in the day because it’s technically already summer. Everything that’s happening just means that summer is here. 

Don’t get me wrong, I love spring. The weather isn’t too hot but isn’t too cold, spring break is right around the corner, but that’s really it. 

I miss summer. Although once it arrives I’ll probably be complaining about the 100+ degree weather, it’s all the memories that make summer so nostalgic and memorable. The late-night walks and bike rides, going to the beach, going to the fair, staying up late, and so on. 

The late-night bike rides or walks it’s the humid air. Hoping for the street lights to continue down the road and not end. It’s 9:00 at night and the sun is just now setting instead of 5:00. The cooling air hits you as you ride your bike down a steep hill waiting for the text saying, “Get home right now”. 

Going to the beach has got to be a summer must-do. The sandy feeling all over your body and the sound of crashing waves hitting the shore are some of the best feelings. Whether you prefer just tanning on the sand, or if you prefer the salty water hitting your back, the beach will always be one of the best places to go- except for the long dreadful walk back to your car. 

Summer fairs will always carry amazing memories for me. The smell of the greasy but yet amazing fair food, the thrill that fills your body when you finally get to the beginning of the ride lines you’ve been waiting in forever, all the bad you could think about goes away because the music is so loud that it fills your head to the point you can’t think straight. 

When you’re with friends, cousins, siblings, or even yourself, during summer, staying up late is almost like a tradition. You don’t have to worry about school the next day and having to wake up early. Whether you just lay down on your phone or you play video games while blasting music, the feeling of looking at the time thinking it’s only 10:00 at night when it’s actually 3:00 in the morning, is an unforgettable feeling.

Between all these breathtaking experiences, nothing will ever beat the feeling of not having school. No stress whatsoever because there is nothing to stress about. No waking up early, no homework, no teachers telling you what you can and cannot do- just the feeling of freedom. 

The adventures that can occur during summer can be crazy and fun but what makes those memories come to life are the five senses of summer. The sight of the sun setting later on in the day and the glare off the water from the sun shining down on it. The smell of barbecues going on throughout the day, between the smell of the smoke from the burning grill and the smell of chlorine radiating off a pool. The taste of the salty beach water getting in your mouth so you rinse out the disgusting flavor with a bag of chips or an ice cream if you’re lucky. The sound of kids laughing along with the sound of the birds chirping as you walk by. Lastly, the feeling of the hot humid air against your neck while outside. 

You might take summer for granted or you might not but no matter what you do, summer will always hold the best memories and nostalgia.