8th Grade Guide to Becoming a Freshman!

8th Grade Guide to Becoming a Freshman!

When becoming a freshman after being in middle school for three years, changing over might be scary since you are so used to the middle school environment. There are many different classes and clubs to take at Oakmont Reginal High School that are very different from Overlook Middle School but let´s see what is so different about going from middle school to high school….

What are the opportunities to becoming a high school student?

When you’re a middle schooler, you don’t get a lot of freedom, and many middle schoolers can agree with that. People always tell you when you get to high school it’ll be different, but it’s not as bad as you think! Oakmont will always accept you as a student and create a safe environment for you! Although it’s not hard, it’s also not as easy, you don’t get to use your phone like you think you can, unless you are out of the classroom for emergency reasons, then you can have your phone and you can also have it at lunch! However, when it comes to assignments being late sometimes, they are lenient and sometimes they aren’t — it depends on the teacher’s mood with the class, but most of the time they will let it slide. Becoming an upcoming freshman means you have more responsibility, and you’ve probably heard that a million times — but it’s true, teachers won’t accept you being loud or running around. Obviously, in middle school, you can’t do that stuff either, but you’ll probably get in less trouble if you do it in middle school rather than if you do it in high school because teachers do not tolerate it. 

What is an elective and course selections?

An elective is like an enrichment except you don’t take all of them, it’s only your classes you will choose to take for your liking and there are a lot!!

You will soon at the end of the year take course selections and that will mean you can choose your classes with the high school guidance counselors, they will explain how you know which counselor you have by last name and they will talk to you about your classes and other thing’s you have questions about it’s not as complicated as it seems. If any questions you have about going into freshmen year you can talk to your counselor and they will answer them but you already know that, and if and when you pick your classes and you go into the next year and dislike them you have the first week to switch out of them but there won’t be as many choices as you think. One tip you should go by is yes of course you want classes with your friends but please do not go off of that because if a class is hard then you should try and switch out. 

Freshman opinions on switching to high school

Stella Deschenes (Freshman)- Freshman year was not as scary as I thought it was going to be. Once you get the feel of Oakmont and how everything works, it gets easier. I think it is important to remember that Freshman year does count and matter but to not burn yourself out. Try any activities you want to do, Freshman year is the time. Pace yourself. 

Gabby Comeau (Freshman)- My freshman year experience was not super scary. There were some moments at the beginning of the year when I was scared about finding my classes. But, after a few days, I got used to the school. I loved meeting all the new people this year and it was an overall fun experience. Freshman year was a year where I felt at peace with people and I was able to grow and be independent. 

Connor Catalfamo (Freshman)- During my freshman year, I realized there was nothing to be afraid of. Yes, it may be a huge jump from middle school to High School, but this will all prepare me for college. 

Francesca Donahue (Freshman)- My freshman year experience was exciting. It was a little weird to get used to the schedule at first, but after a few days, I got it. Freshman year I felt more independent and more comfortable in the school’s environment!

Brayden Nally (Freshman)- I’ve learned that you have a lot of independence, it’s so much easier to manage your time with 4 classes, and it’s honestly fun.

Leah Fithian (Freshman)- Freshman year is going alright. I think it was scary when I first came here because I moved states and didn’t even know anyone, but then I met people and it got better.

Miranda Parkinson (Freshman)- Freshman year is going pretty well so far. It was a little scary in the beginning to be in a new school but it’s fun now. 

Hannah Murphy (Freshman)- Freshman year so far has been going better than I thought it would. I was a bit scared about high school at first, but now that I’m used to my classes and the schoolwork it’s pretty good.

Asher Wilcox (Freshman)- Freshman year has been a rough year, it was more difficult than I thought it would be. I was scared of it at first but it got easier.

What’s a Green and White day?

Every day there is a different color day, meaning it could be a green or white day. This decides what lunch you have since there are 2 lunches a day and this is based on your C BLOCK CLASS!! You could also have both lunches meaning you switch lunches every day but that only if you are switching classes for C block and an extra class you swap out with every day but your switching class can be A, B, C, and D not just C block but your lunch still goes off of your C block class no matter what. It might be confusing now but you will get it once in high school it’s pretty simple when explained!

What are credits?

To graduate you need 26 credits, you can get credits by taking a class but some classes are only a half credit and if you don’t pass the class then you won’t get the credit. You have 4 classes a day so that means that you have 4 credits in the first semester and then you take 4 more classes in the second semester making that 8 credits by the end of freshman year but if you swap every other day they might be a half credit. Each year you will get credits throughout the classes you take. MCAS NEEDS TO BE PASSED TO GRADUATE!!

What is Four Corners?

Four Corners is one big part of the school, It is a hallway that separates the English/Forgin Langauge wing also known as the Four Hundred Wing, and the history wing known as the Five Hundred Wing. On the other side of the four-hundred wings is the three-hundred wings. Of the two other hallways, one is going to downstairs or the guidance counseling office, and the other one is heading to lunch. There are other hallways connected to that one so it’s not as confusing as it sounds it’s actually pretty easy to understand. 

Down Stairs Hallway!

The downstairs hallway is the math and science wing. The math wing is also the five hundred wing and the science wing is known as the six hundred wing so when someone says your homeroom is (example)- room 505 Sinclair you would go downstairs and to the math wing. 

Counselors!

Who you have for a guidance counselor goes off of the first initial of your last name, there are three counselors plus two adjustment counselors, and Ms. Mc who is the administrative assistant in the counseling office. The three guidance counselors are Paul Bradley, Amy Dubavick, and Kristen Brochu. School adjustment counselors have specialized knowledge and evidence-based training for students with severe psychopathology such as depression, ADHD, bipolar disorder, autism spectrum disorders, etc. Just to check in and talk to make sure everything is okay and how they are doing in school or if they need to talk about something they won’t tell their actual guidance counselor.