Breaking News
  • June 23Repeat: Oakmont Baseball Wins State Championship . . . again

Food Insecurity Presentation

Photo+of+Molly+Velasco+speaking.+
    Cecelia Sears
    Photo of Molly Velasco speaking.

Molly Velasco, Youth Engagement Manager, came to Oakmont Regional High School to discuss food insecurity. Molly works with the Food Justice program and the Free Meals program, based in Leominster, which helps students in communities get free and reduced lunch. Molly’s goal was to educate students about what food insecurity is, how it affects people, and how they can get help if it’s needed. She described that independence is one of the most important things for people in this program. Velasco said, “We never want the people to feel less than us, so we have real people who have been through this system helping others. It helps create a real connection.” Velasco wants to help people to be independent and do things on their own rather than being dependent on the program. 

Website: Growingplaces.org

Molly Velasco described that food insecurity can look different depending on one’s situation. Molly spoke about the main reasons for food insecurity such as the cost of food, food being too expensive, transportation access, no grocery stores nearby, not being able to get any food due to how far you are from a grocery store, unhoused no access having access to a kitchen or supplies, lastly, food literacy which means not having the knowledge to cook for yourself. 

During the presentation students, learned about two specific programs offered called HIP and SNAP. SNAP provides food benefits to low-income families to supplement their produce budget. HIP puts SNAP dollars for PRODUCE ONLY onto your EBT card (electronic benefit transfer). 

Velasco spoke about the value of a food dollar and what percentage of the proceeds go to each step of the food processing industry. 

What makes a person or household eligible for these food services? It is based on the “gross monthly income” and the household size for both individuals and households. 

Household Size:

1 person: $1,580-$1,215

2 people: $2,137-$1,644

3 people: $2,694-$2,072

4 people: $3,250-$2,500

Each member +$557

Hip Benefits:

1-2 people – $40 per month

3-5 people – $60 per month 

6+ people – $80 per month