Breaking News
  • June 23Repeat: Oakmont Baseball Wins State Championship . . . again

The end of school year slump

All school vacations have come and gone and summer is so close you can practically taste it. The weather is warm and school starts feeling optional. With only a month or so left of school, my day-to-day work and homework began to feel extremely difficult due to my lack of motivation. I get into the mindset of “Do I have to do this” with every assignment that drags on.

An example of this slump is this very article that I am writing. I love writing it is my favorite thing to do and typically my motivation to write comes naturally but since my brain is so fried I am dragging myself to create and produce.

By May, I had already studied myself to the breaking point and lost countless hours of sleep attempting to complete my homework. My brain simply cannot handle another project or math unit. Over each school year, I struggle to keep up my dedication to my work. My self-motivated and hard-working mindset slowly fades away and by June I am more than ready for a break.

Although the thought of summer pushes me through my slump I still try to enjoy school. Seeing my friends and having social interaction brings enjoyment to me even on dull days. Losing the ability to see my friends daily when summer starts is what makes me appreciate the boring moments more often especially towards the end of the year. I know I will miss spending time with my close friends every single day due to school.

School can be very physically, emotionally, and mentally draining which is why so many people experience this end-of-the-school-year slump. After giving your all for eight months straight the last month and a half you just have to power through.

One way I recommend surviving the slump is to not give up. I know that is easier said than done but don’t completely lose all focus you have a future to protect. Another piece of advice that I have is to learn to appreciate and take in the little moments. High school goes by so fast so I know that when I am a senior looking back at my experiences here at Oakmont I know I’ll be wishing I appreciated everything a little bit more. So don’t waste a day wishing it was the next time flies by and before you know it next school year will roll around.