Breaking News
  • June 23Repeat: Oakmont Baseball Wins State Championship . . . again

Rusak Breaks Oakmont’s Javelin Record

The javelin record at Oakmont has always been considered untouchable. It was set in 1980 at 182 ‘3, when there were different regulations that made the javelin lighter. That all changed, however, on a rainy day at Quabbin Regional High School.

Senior Travis Rusak broke the long-standing record by six inches, throwing 182 ‘9. A personal best that secured him 1st place in the meet, the Colgate University commit was very happy with his performance. 

“I was extremely excited and really shocked to break the school record. It was not something I thought was possible as an underclassman”, Rusak said. Last year, his personal best was 156’. The first meet this year, Rusak was already ahead of that by over 20 feet. 

Rusak throwing at Quabbin Regional High School

Rusak also qualified for New Balance Nationals in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania for the first time this year, which is a big accomplishment. The meet will happen from June 13th to June 16th at Franklin Field. When asked what he hopes to get out of the meet, Rusak said that he wants to get a personal record: 190’. 

Competing with the best high school athletes will be both exciting and challenging, but Rusak said that he’s ready for the experience. “I’m excited to be able to compete in a big stadium in front of a lot of people. I’m excited to see all the incredible athletes, and I’m most excited to get a backpack.” 

Things are looking bright for Rusak in the future, too. At Colgate, a Division 1 college, he hopes to improve even more; “As for Colgate, my goal would simply be to put up competition for the best throwers in the Patriot League.”

The next meet is the Division 5 State Championship meet at Bridgewater State University. Hopefully there will be another record-breaking performance, but either way, Rusak’s name will remain known to Oakmont for years to come. Congratulations Travis!