Breaking News
  • June 23Repeat: Oakmont Baseball Wins State Championship . . . again

Satire: Why MCAS is Amazing

Reagan Bouchard
Test Nav app open on Chromebook

As Sophomores, we have reached our final goal of the bottomless pit… MCAS. The idea of being locked away in a room, shunned from society, for two whole hours is what we live for. It is the PEAK of our existence. MCAS will be missed.

Digging through our brains, searching for every last memory we’ve ever learned, just to put some educated guess for an answer. What a thrill. My heart races for the fact of answering questions with words I think sound smart, but I know aren’t correct. 

One of my favorite memories is always going to be the night before. Always scrambling to charge Chromebooks, making sure you get enough sleep (which will never happen, who do you think you are?), and making sure you eat something in the morning. It is like preparing for the best race of your life! 

Also, the fact that it decides whether you walk for graduation or not! All that pressure and stress building upon your shoulders, boy will you get buff. Knowing that with each question you go through, you could be signing your high school diploma away. But no worries, you can just keep taking it again… and again… and again… and again. 

The classroom is so quiet you can hear the clock ticking and with every tick your brain is scattering. Who would ever want it to be over? Trying countless equations on a calculator, trying to find an answer that sounds somewhat reasonable. 

There are always those wonderful questions that make you feel so good about yourself, the ones where you just close your eyes and hope. Clicking a random answer imitates a guessing game! 

Let’s talk about when we spend all that time calculating answers only to find out it’s not even one of the choices! At that point, you just have to pick the answer that is closest to what you initially thought. It HAS to be right… right?

Your mind is truly put to the test! After 2 or more hours of testing, you get to go to all your other classes and get hours of homework! Yipee! More work, reading, and solving problems! This is what my brain was born for, my one destiny!

The English MCAS is where you can just type, type, type your life away. My fingers have gained muscles from writing 2-3 essays in one sitting. Looking back at all the figurative language I have learned I still don’t know what an adverb is. 

Once you finish your MCAS, fret not, you get to sit and wait in absolute silence until everyone else is done. Staring at the ceiling has never been so entertaining. And I love that there is NO room for social interaction. Isn’t that so fun? They refrain you from talking to your friends even after both of you’re done! However, you can always have a conversation with yourself within the mind. 

Oh, but the sorrow that you feel when you are finally done. Our MCAS journey has come to an end and it is truly bringing tears to my eyes.  Oh, how you will always be a major part of what I do in my day-to-day life! Especially math!