Breaking News
  • June 23Repeat: Oakmont Baseball Wins State Championship . . . again

The Smarts of a Sophomore: Learning How to Drive

Submitted photo
What it is like to drive in a car with a beginner!

How smart are sophomores really? This is written from the perspective of two stupidly smart sophomores just trying to make it through high school. The amount of things we have said that was just the most absurd thing imaginable is countless. 

We are two students who take all honors and AP classes so you might put us in the “smart” category, but let me tell you, that is wrong. Our common sense may not quite live up to our academic abilities. Let’s cut us sophomores some slack. We are learning how to become more responsible and actual adults. 

In sophomore year you begin practicing driving, making money, navigating a job, building a college resume, strengthening relationships, and figuring out who you are. Sophomore year is busy and sometimes our brains lag. 

Let’s look at some examples… 

Sophomore year is the time students begin to drive. When we started practicing my driving skills, it was a bumpy start. Actually, it’s still pretty bumpy, but we will get through it somehow. One of us got into the car, struggled to turn it on, and then started driving with two feet. How were we supposed to know it was a one-foot job? We aren’t staring at the driver’s feet whenever we’re in a car. 

Don’t get us started on all the dashboard lights. We were driving and this strange blue jellyfish lit up on my dashboard. We didn’t know what it was called, so we named it the jellyfish light. Later, we learned that it was just the high-beam light indicator. Oopsies. 

There are too many mistakes to count when beginner drivers are behind the wheel, like pushing the gas instead of the brake. It happened with no injuries and we moved on. We tend to serpentine all the way down the road, swaying side to side. Weeeee, it’s for the fun! Then when someone forgets they are in control of a whole vehicle and slightly takes their hands off the wheel… Don’t worry, we recovered fast. 

The question of direction. The fact that we never know where we’re going, even if we have been there thousands of times. Turn left or turn right? What’s the speed limit? Where are we right now? Do we keep going straight or should we have taken that turn? All questions that are regularly asked. 

GPS and I are going to be best friends. Nobody will ever talk to me as much as my GPS will. We can’t ever understand how people use maps to navigate WHILE DRIVING. Insanity is what that is. We can barely multi-task in our day-to-day life, how are we supposed to while driving a deadly vehicle? Luckily, we won’t have to because of the lovely GPS!

Speaking of multitasking, holding the wheel steady, keeping a constant speed, turning on the blinker, looking for cars, and watching for turns. Sounds like a lot. I’m sure with lots of practice I’ll get it- maybe.