• June 23Repeat: Oakmont Baseball Wins State Championship . . . again

Marching Spartans in the Memorial Day Parade

Sam Russo

This year’s Memorial Day was wet, but nonetheless admirable. The holiday landed on May 27th this year and unfortunately for the viewers and band, the weather was not in the day’s favor. Mist accompanied Ashburnham and Westminster’s ceremonies steadily but did not deter the community from participating.

The Marching Spartans have had a long history of being invited to participate in the Memorial Day parades and ceremonies in both Ashburnham and Westminster. Ashburnham’s ceremony began at 9 am at the Meeting House Hill Cemetery where the band provided the playing of the Star Spangled Banner. After that, old-fashioned cars, fire trucks, policemen, veterans, and members of the town gathered to watch one of the most notable, symbolic gestures of the ceremonies; the firing of three cannonballs following the playing of Taps, provided by trumpet players Karl Sargent and Jonny Currie. The parade, led by a police car, was taken to the New Cemetery, where the three-volley salute ceremony took place. The parade finally reached the Town Hall, where the area was filled with people who came to listen to the speeches. They were provided by the Girl Scouts and veterans to commemorate those currently in service, those going into service, and those who lost their lives in service. It was a heartwarming experience to watch the flowers be placed underneath the statue of a soldier outside of the Town Hall, which was followed by the playing of Taps provided again by Karl Sargent and Jonny Currie.

Westminster’s parade began around 11:30 am. In contrast to Ashburnham, this was more of a Memorial Day celebration. Several organizations, John Deere tractors, and sports teams gathered to be a part of the parade traveling down Main St, beginning around the Westminster Cafe, and due to the rain, ending at Westminster Elementary School (typically ending at Academy Hill). The band played down Main St marching along with the rest of the parade and despite the rain, the street was full of people and families.

This was an extraordinary opportunity given to the Oakmont-Overlook Marching Spartans to remember and honor those who served in the United States military.