Breaking News
  • June 23Repeat: Oakmont Baseball Wins State Championship . . . again

Column: Maybe School isn’t so bad after all

Gabby Comeau

It has been a long 180 days filled with homework, essays, tests, projects, and studying. Summer is just around the corner and everyone is getting antsy. But as each school year comes to a close I find myself in a deep feeling of sorrow. To me, this makes zero sense because, from the very beginning of school, I started counting down the days until summer again. So why when I am so close to being done am I suddenly not ready? I think it is because school isn’t so bad after all.

As each year of my education passes I appreciate my time more and more because I have less time than I realize. In my opinion, as I mature more I notice that everyone makes school out to be the worst thing in the world when it isn’t. Don’t get me wrong I dread those wretched Monday mornings just as much as the next. I am also not a fan of late nights spent working tirelessly on a project. But school is more than just those negatives that we all hyper-fixate on.

Sometimes when I get lost in thought during another boring slideshow presentation I look around and see all the long-lasting friendships that have been built in these very walls. Or all the laughs that have been shared leaving your ribs hurting.  The amount of students that have come and gone in the very position that I am in right now probably took their time for granted and I don’t plan to make the same mistake. As I watched the senior class embark on a new adventure this year leaving their high school career behind I truly admired the strong relationships they have developed with not only each other but also with the staff.

Every year new challenges surface, which bring different experiences, which bring different life lessons. Not only has school taught me “necessary” information such as y=mx+b, prepositional phrases, the cell cycle, and when the French Revolution started. It has also taught me balance, routine, how to maintain relationships, respect, and many more real-world skills. Growing up also goes hand and hand with these abilities that I have obtained but I don’t think I would have been able to achieve them without the guidance of a school setting. 

When I talk about school in a positive light I’m not talking directly about the academic aspect. To be fair math is not my favorite pastime but I mean more in the overall sense. They kind of go hand and hand. I hope that one day I look back at my high school years and have a fond memory of the time I spent here.  School will only be worse if you go every day taking your time for granted in fear of the next day. As my freshman year chapter closes I am very thankful for the past 180 days and all that I’ve learned. Now I do realize, school isn’t so bad after all.