Oakmont in (virtual) harmony

Lindsay Romano

Every year, clubs across the school unite to organize Oakmont’s Harmony Week full of positivity, motivation, and inclusion. Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, the 2020 Harmony Week was in jeopardy. However, quarantine can’t stop positivity, and all week Oakmont Student Council, with the help of the entire community, has used spirit days, instagram challenges, and daily themes to keep Oakmont united and in harmony, even while we are apart.

Mental Health Monday

To start the week, Oakmont students and staff wore blue to remember the importance of mental health. Throughout the day, Oakmont StuCo posted positive messages and challenges on Instagram encouraging students to listen to the rain, breathe, meditate, and much more. Mrs. Roy even shared a follow along yoga video! 

Give Thanks Tuesday

Positivity continued as the Oakmont community was decked out in yellow! Messages of gratitude to family, teachers, health care workers, and many more spread all across Instagram! Special thanks went out to all Ashburnham and Westminster police officers, firefighters, and EMTs for all their work to keep our communities safe, as well as to Peer Leaders to recognize all of their hard work and dedication to Relay for Life. 

Spartan Spirit Wednesday

Instagram radiated with Spartan Pride as the Oakmont community posted their favorite pictures to represent the spirit of a Spartan and wore green and white all day long! A special shoutout went out to Spartan Center, the heart of all Spartan spirit! 

Senior Showcase Thursday

With the chaos of the current global situation, the class of 2020 has certainly felt robbed of many typical senior memories. As an attempt to partially repay our seniors, we dedicated a whole Harmony Week day to them! Seniors were encouraged to post their senior pictures along with their future plans, while the rest of the Oakmont community showed their support through gratitude and encouragement!

Inclusion Friday

To conclude the week, the Oakmont community was encouraged to wear as many colors as possible to promote inclusion of everyone in our community. Throughout the week many students participated in a virtual pledge to spread the word to end the derogatory use of the r word. On this last day, the Oakmont Friends Club, a group of students wholeheartedly dedicated to inclusion, led the pledge, as they do every year, through a google meet, keeping the tradition alive. Friends Club and Student Council also celebrated a virtual senior night for unified track.

Although we could not celebrate Harmony Week together this year, the Oakmont community proved to be an incredibly strong, caring, and inclusive group in a week of virtual positivity! Thank you to all who participated!

(Pictured above is Oakmont Principal Dave Uminski showing his spirit by participating each day! Photos by Mr. Uminski)