How fall of 2020 is coping with COVID

Fall 2020 in a nutshell.

Fall 2020 in a nutshell.

Sophie Miller, Journalist

That time of the year is creeping right behind us once again! The colors are changing, the air is becoming colder and all of the best flavors are coming out in every fast-food chain. How will our first fall with COVID affect all of our fall traditions?

With August passed and September right underneath us, it is safe to wonder how schools will continue under the given circumstances. Local high schools have come up with temporary plans for the students and teachers. Ashburnham has decided that Oakmont regional High School will be all online for 6-7 weeks. Overlook Middle School and J R Briggs elementary are attending a “Hybrid model” -two days at school, three at home-if all goes well staff, and students will be able to attend back to school two days a week and three online. These may change all depending on what Miss. Rona has in store for us.

Local Farms have decided to continue opening amidst the pandemic.  Places like The Red Apple Farm in Phillipston Ma. have opened up to the public under the restrictions of wearing a mask and staying six feet apart to remain social distancing.

Because another wave of covid predicted to hit The Big E was canceled until 2021. However, The Big E committee has come up with alternatives for missing out this year. Each week from September 22nd to October 18th vendors will bring fair foods. With COVID restrictions, those who wish to attend must order tickets online or make reservations ahead of time. There is an entry fee of 5 dollars that will go directly to the fairgrounds, the 4-H Club, and Future Farmers of America. Parks like Six Flags have also been closed for the season. People who have already bought their season passes are eligible for a refund, or everyday the park is closed is a day added to your season pass when Six Flags reopens.

Thanksgiving is another favorite fall holiday. Having a big gathering with family and friends is a tradition for families all over the nation. Traveling for the holidays to see distant relatives may be a struggle this year. The CDC encourages people not to travel during the outbreak, but if you decide to travel they suggest getting your Flu vaccination, wearing a mask to cover your nose and mouth, washing your hands, avoiding contact with anyone who has been sick and avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.

With fall comes the biggest fall tradition, Halloween. Parents and little kids wonder if there will be trick-or-treating this year. Dr. Dean Blumberg, Chief of Pediatric Infectious Diseases at UC Davis Health and UC Davis Children’s Hospital, says ¨Families should avoid trick-or-treating amid the pandemic.” ¨Even in areas with a low risk of transmission, a door-to-door activity could spur an outbreak.¨ Though it would be disappointing but smart to decide to stay in this Halloween there are alternatives. Throwing a small Halloween party with close friends and family can sure make up for the lost holiday. Remaining all COVID guidelines ( social distancing, wearing a mask, preventing the spread of germs, etc.)  and not inviting any new people to the event will help keep everyone COVID free. 

The world we live in today is ever-changing. Living may be different this fall. Finding a balance between enjoying your favorite seasons and holiday but still remaining safe is a new challenge everyone is facing. Staying united as a team during these uncertain times is important. Though Fall 2020 is looking different this year there are ways to equally enjoy it the same as every other year.