Oakmont’s community night draws a crowd

A+student+at+Oakmont+participates+in+community+night+by+making+fingerprints.+

Reagan

A student at Oakmont participates in community night by making fingerprints.

By Reagan Bouchard and Mikaela Groncki

This exciting event at Oakmont allowed students from middle school or anyone who was interested to look around Oakmont. Clubs and classes had presentations and fun things to do set out to show what they were about. It gave helpful information to the incoming and remaining students about the courses and clubs they were interested in.

The Principal of Oakmont, Jeffrey Lizotte, ran this event for all to enjoy. Lizotte said, “Overall, I thought it went really well. We had many families and students in the building. We were able to meet with individuals as well as small groups of students.”

There were many games and activities set up around the school to demonstrate the stuff they would be doing in their classes. Teachers and staff were around to meet with students and families to answer any questions. Students were helping out with club posters, displaying art by painting in the lobby, greeting families, helping new arrivals, and a bake sale in four corners.

To promote extracurricular activities, some students made posters, showed videos, and even sold items. In four corners there was a bake sale selling treats and a cheerleading table set up. The cheerleaders were selling bows and snacks to help the cheer team get to camp.

In the science wing, there were many available activities involving forensics, anatomy, physics, and chemistry. Some of them were planting a plant for the garden, looking at bones and cells, and even getting fingerprinted. These attractions were popular with the students and their families. 

In the history wing, a vibrant student debate to place live which attracted a great crowd. While in the English Wing, exemplars of papers, dioramas, and artwork along with a presentation of The Oakmonitor.

The math wing had multiple tables set up. One math table had graphing calculators with problems that you had to solve. Student, Cam Scerbo, did the demos activity with Mr. Billings, a math teacher, where you made shapes on the graphs. Scerbo said that he really enjoyed this activity and liked speaking with his old teacher. 

The business wing shared with the math wing, had statistics on student career pathways. Mr. Ryan, a business teacher, used the projects of his students to show the statistics of different career pathways. There was also a game you could play about the stalk market. The students of the personal finance class participate in this “Stock Market game,” now they are sharing it with the visitors of Oakmont.

Lizzote says that since this night went so well, he plans to do it again next November. To make the night even better, more activities may be available. For example, maybe next year the school will hold a scavenger hunt or give out prizes.

Community night is an exciting experience for all students and staff. Make sure to drop by next year and see all the new and unique activities to take part in.

Here are some pictures from the night!

Students pose with teacher at Community Night! (Reagan Bouchard)

Cheerleader table (Reagan Bouchard)
Bake sale! (Reagan Bouchard)
Students working on a robot! (Reagan Bouchard)