• May 9Prom Next Saturday 5/18 at the Colonial Hotel!
  • May 9Varsity Baseball and Softball Cancer Awareness Game- Monday 5/13

How Oakmont feels about daylight savings

Ryan Rollo

How Daylight Savings Impacts Oakmont

Daylight savings is a very controversial thing. I know many people who love it and many who are very against it. 

Daylight savings happens twice a year, during the spring and fall. We have all recently just gone through one on November 5th. 

We have moved our clocks backward, meaning it gets dark earlier and the sun is out early in the morning. 

Here, we will discuss how other students at Oakmont feel about moving the clocks backward/daylight savings as a whole. 

A classmate of mine, Julia Feeley, shares her opinion on the topic, “I think it’s kind of pointless, as we are not farming anymore,” On the contrary, another classmate of mine, Genesis Cruz, has a very different perspective, “I feel blessed, as I get more sleep.” It’s interesting to see two separate classmates’ views on daylight savings. 

Mr. Napolitano, an Oakmont business teacher, said, “The extra hour of sleep was crucial and much needed, so, I was thankful for that. It’s not dark out when I wake up, so it’s easier to get up in the morning,”

If you ask me, daylight savings time is delightful. I love the extra hour of sleep. I relish how it gets dark earlier in the day, as it changes things up. I am not the biggest fan of the change in the fall, as I don’t like that it’s bright at the crack of dawn, but in the spring it’s nice having dark mornings and more daylight in the evening. It can be a rough adjustment for some people, but I believe in making the most of it.