• April 26Morgan's Message Girls' Lacrosse Game May 2nd 6:30 PM Start (ceremony before)

Trees Column: Boy, if the trees could speak!

Boy, if the trees could speak they would say how they love it when we are outside. 

They would say that we know nothing about how intricate they are. We are all connected, root to root, branch to branch, fungi to fungi. We have learned how to communicate through the networks, we can send signals warning others of drought and disease. We are so very intricate. 

Our community is strong, and full of beautiful towering trees with years of wisdom. We can learn and adapt based on how our neighbors are feeling or what experiences they have been going through. We trees use our communication skills to share water and nutrients with others. 

We cry when one of our neighbors falls. In our mourning time, we slow down our growth to show the loss of a loved one. When someone whom you have watched grow up into a strong tree suddenly crashes and dies, it is a sad time for all.

Although it’s a sad thing for one to die, it also brings so much life to the forest. It’s called a nursery. The dead decaying friend is now a great home and source of life for new saplings to grow.  That is why it’s called a nursery, the tree becomes the perfect place to care for a young tree.

Most people can’t believe that we are smart enough to communicate. But the truth is, we have been doing it for a long time. We use a mycelium which is just a network of fungi. The fungi are underground, but they do sprout in the form of mushrooms.

When you come and walk all over our ecosystem, off the path, it hurts our mycelium networks. I ask you to please not kick, pick, or stomp on any of the mushrooms. They do so much for us trees. 

Us trees joke a lot about the experiments we see humans do. They put themselves through horrible tasks, that they think are fun, to try and find an answer about something. This one dude from Germany called our way of communicating the Woodwide Web. That is the funniest thing ever. Such clever wording. 

Now when you are outside, look around. Look more in-depth and try to understand our communication more. You might learn to appreciate what is around you. 

View Comments (1)