• April 26Morgan's Message Girls' Lacrosse Game May 2nd 6:30 PM Start (ceremony before)

Why is pollution so harmful?

Pollution is very harmful to the environment causing many problems in the world now. Some people ask what pollution is. Pollution is the introduction of harmful materials into the environment.

A big worry for sick people or people with health problems is air pollution because of what is brought into the air and there are families with kids and ill people who can get affected by the air they breathe making them very sick. There is an increase in respiratory illness and cardiovascular problems, skin diseases, acid rain, hazards to wildlife, and much more that can harm the world and humans.

According to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection, “Air pollution can harm us when it accumulates in the air in high enough concentrations.¨ Millions of Americans live in areas where urban smog, particle pollution, and toxic pollutants pose serious health concerns “They explain that there are many risks and harmful details on air pollution all over America.¨

Mortality rates have been at a very high for air pollution from the many problems it has caused for the atmosphere. The number of people globally has a count of 8.34 million deaths per year but there is one disease that is very common for deaths and that is cardiometabolic conditions, particularly ischaemic heart disease. Air pollution can also cause long-term damage to people’s nerves, brain, kidneys, liver, and other organs.

How can we stop air pollution?

Drive your car less, vehicle exhaust is a major source of air pollution that destroys the environment. Burning your garbage can be dangerous to your health such as breathing in the smoke and to the environment. Turn off your engine, an idling engine creates a hot spot of pollution that ruins the environment. 

Facts about air pollution

• Air pollution can trigger health problems
  • Less than 1% of global land area has safe air pollution levels.
  • At least 1 out of 10 people die from air pollution-related diseases.
  • Air pollution is a greater threat to life expectancy than smoking, HIV, or war.

Benefits air pollution may have

Believe it or not, air pollution can help plants grow. Another benefit is that in the summer air pollution can help the cities to be cooler and not be burning hot.

Now enough of the air pollution let’s check out what other kinds of pollution exist. Plastic pollution is one of the biggest types of pollution that is very common and heard of and you see it almost everywhere you go. Many people don’t take responsibility for throwing their garbage in the trash but instead leave it on the ground or throwing out the window but they aren’t aware of the harsh things it can do to our community. Many animals can be hurt or get stuck in any type of plastic pollution making them stuck or suffer or even be killed. This pollution chokes marine wildlife, damages soil poisons groundwater, and can cause serious health impacts. Plastic contains higher levels of chemicals such as flame retardants, benzene, and other carcinogens.

Facts about plastic pollution

• Every year 500 billion plastic bottles are produced worldwide.
  • Plastic in the ocean is already more than 150 million tons of waste.
  • By 2050, there will be more plastic than fish.
  • Each year about eight million tons of plastic end up in the ocean and seas.

The real question is, how can we stop plastic pollution?

A good way to stop plastic pollution is to start putting plastic in the recycle bin, this way it stays away from our natural environment and so they can have their own and be separate. Another way is avoiding using plastic bags or plastic straws, these are two big ones in the plastic pollution that hurts the environment. There is a lot more to stopping plastic pollution but it’s mainly just using plastic and how it destroys the environment. If you ever see somebody littering, the right thing to do is confront the person or simply pick up the trash that has been left.

The benefits of plastic pollution might have to the environment

The plastic industry uses the information to define why plastic pollution can help our environment According to the plastic industry, Plastic has benefited our society in several ways. Plastic has helped aeronautics technology take giant steps forward over the past 50 years, including advancements in satellites, shuttles, aircraft, and missiles. As a result, civilian air travel has improved, as well as military air power and space exploration. In addition, the building and construction, electronics, packaging, and transportation industries have all benefited greatly from plastic.” Plastic pollution can improve some industries, but that never means leaving trash on the streets is gonna benefit the world, only if plastic is used in certain ways to improve a project or industry.