• April 26Morgan's Message Girls' Lacrosse Game May 2nd 6:30 PM Start (ceremony before)

The Beauty of Social Media in Sports

In 2023 almost everyone, especially students have at least one form of social media. As time has passed organizations, businesses, and sports teams have gone on to create their own online presence. The use of social media in the evergrowing world of sports has completely altered the attention and communication of fans and their favorite sports teams. 

However, social media has not only helped grow attention to professional sports teams and their fans but has also given attention to high school teams. As a high school student in the 21st Century, you can only imagine the amount of time my peers and I spend on social media. Therefore, one of the best ways to communicate with this generation is via social media. This is why social media could become a major development for athletics as we know it.

As most people know there are sports that gain popularity and those that don’t. The sports that aren’t able to gain the attention of other more popular sports have a major opportunity available when it comes to social media. Creating an account on a social media platform that is run by the athletes, and entertaining can bring an influx of fans to the sport. This is exactly what the University of Nebraska Women’s Volleyball Team did. 

By using their platform on social media they posted videos about their successes featuring incredible and intriguing videos that are certain to draw in fans; they were they’re able to share information about their team, games, and players which drew the attention and support of their team. When playing Omaha Women’s Volleyball they set a world record for women’s spots with a total of 92,003 fans. If it weren’t for their use of social media they could have never set that amazing record. 

Although your high school sports teams might not have 92,003 fans at your next game after you made a social media account for your team, you may see some new interaction with your team. As a student-athlete, you see a difference in your attendance and overall fan base when you have social media for your team and when you don’t. One way you can make a presence for your team on social media is by first making an account that blatantly shows what team this is for to avoid confusion. Then you want to update it as often as you can, this could be with fun videos made by the athletes that draw people into the account, or posting the time of a game, if it has been rescheduled, or even a theme for the event that can make it more fun. Finally, you would want to get your account out there, share it with your friends have them share it with their friends. Hopefully, after this series of events your sports team will have a successful social media account that grows over time and builds a strong and healthy support system to further boost the success of your team.

View Comments (1)