Breaking News
  • April 26Morgan's Message Girls' Lacrosse Game May 2nd 4:00 PM Start (ceremony before)
  • April 26Morgan's Message Baseball Game May 1st 3:30 PM Start (ceremony before)

New England Weather

What makes New England Weather New England Weather?

New England is an area of land in the United States that is affected by many different weather phenomena, according to Quora.

Positioned between the cold Canadian masses from the north and the warm Gulf Stream to the south, New England is often caught in the crossroads of contrasting conditions. Making it mainly a humid continental climate zone.

New England falls primarily within USDA Hardiness Zones 3 to 7, with the northern and higher-elevation areas being colder than the southern and coastal regions. The region lies in AHS Heat Zones 1 through 3.

A diagram – visual explanation

According to CBS News, despite this insane amount of technology, the weather is still somewhat unpredictable. There are just too many moving parts.

While we are significantly better from 10, 20, 30 years ago, we are far from perfect. Weather can change in an instant. New England weather has one of the fastest-changing weather seasons.

Milder Winters?

According to the Conservation Law Foundation, every year winters are shorter and warmer. Although many people don’t believe it or don’t want to believe it, many New Engenders feel that they’ve experienced it firsthand.

People remember having to worry about shoveling in the winter or having to drive through the snow to get to a Thanksgiving gathering, now New England is lucky to have a white Christmas.

I think and feel like winters are getting pushed off a little bit every year. People don’t exactly get excited about natural snow while skiing or snowboarding, it’s mostly artificially made. Some people have a birthday in November like myself, but as years pass the less and less snow I see around my birthday and the more I see towards the end of winter.

Do people move to New England more often than not?

For some, the reason people move in or out of New England is because of its challenging weather. Many people enjoy the cold, many people enjoy the heat, and some enjoy both. Some may say New England Weather is bipolar, but not many will argue that.

Why do people move to New England though? One of the biggest reasons is simply the proximity. With the beaches, fishing, and the fresh seafood. This is the reason the younger people more often than not. 

For others (old people) it may be the thought of revolutionary history while being the oldest region of the United States and one of the first successful English settlements in the Americas.

For the rest, it’s the many world-class universities that include some of the best in the world.

According to survey numbers shared by United Van Lines, 28% moved out of New England because they found a job somewhere else. Just over 19% left for family reasons, 18% said they were retiring elsewhere, and 16% departed due to “lifestyle changes.”

View Comments (1)