Czeching out America with the Czech exchange student at Oakmont

International Exchange Students gather with Max in Conn.

Interviewed By Dani Lewis

Max (Maxim) Sikora, a 16-year-old exchange student from the Czech Republic, began his first day at Oakmont on January 30th, 2023. He describes his home country as the heart of Europe, being the small center of action. Max is simultaneously curious about others and expressive of himself. Always willing to try something new, Max kindly agreed to an interview with a reporter from The Oakmonitor, voicing thoughts and opinions ranging from American culture shocks to favorite memories so far. Here are some of the questions we asked, and Max’s answers.

Why did you become an exchange student?

That’s a question that I’ve been asked many times before and it is so hard to explain. I’ve always been surrounded by American culture when I grew up, whether with the movies (especially High School Musical, Mamma Mia and Mean Girls), language or food. I’ve always wondered what it is like to really live here. What are the traditions, humor, culture and school? I also found it as a way to find myself and start over again, have a fresh start. A huge motivation was also meeting new people because that’s what I love to do. You always learn something from someone new you meet. Because of those reasons, I decided that the exchange year would be the best thing for me and I was fortunate enough to win a fully funded scholarship.

Why did you choose America?

I’ve wanted to go to the United States since middle school. Being surrounded by American culture- (again, movies and shows such as High School Musical, Mamma Mia and Riverdale, haha), music and language definitely contributed to my decision. I wanted to see what it was like to study at an American high school and live My “American Dream”: join clubs, be in the musical, see a football game, go to New York City or Dunkin Donuts and Prom! Also I’ve always wanted to try American KFC, since in the Czech Republic it’s a big deal and I wanted to see if it’s different compared to Europe (it really is).

What are some of your interests?

The first thing that came to my mind would be languages. I love studying languages because they connect people. They open a whole new world for you and create limitless opportunities. You learn so much by studying them – about the culture’s mentality, customs, traditions and it gives you more resources to improve yourself. My second main hobby would be fashion because you can get so creative with it. It’s a way to express myself and to feel good in the things you wear.  It represents me.  I’ve also played piano for 9 years and it has become a big part of my life. Mentioning all above, I’d add one more and that’s traveling!

When did you come to the United States, and more specifically, how did you end up at Oakmont?

I came at the beginning of August last year and stayed in Connecticut. For the 2nd semester, I transferred to Oakmont. Since I went through a scholarship I didn’t get to choose what state I wanted to go to, but I knew I wanted to go to Massachusetts and it’s a huge coincidence that I ended up here.

What has been the most shocking thing about American culture so far?

For me the most shocking thing is that people wear shoes in the house and then they vacuum so often. If you didn’t wear your shoes in the house you wouldn’t have to vacuum so often! But the biggest difference for me was the people. Believe it or not, but people here are so friendly and welcoming compared to Europe! You can start a normal conversation with a complete stranger, like a cashier in the store or a person in the line, like yesterday- I was at Walmart and a lady started talking to me and we started having conversations about the things we are looking for and why we need them and so on. It was so nice. Most people answer with a smile and have a conversation with you. But it also took me a while to realize that when someone says “how are you” after hello, they don’t really want to hear about your whole day but it’s more of a polite way to greet someone. It was also my first time seeing a squirrel and a chipmunk which sadly didn’t dance and sing as Alvin and the Chipmunks did but they were so cute anyway (until they ate my whole pumpkin for Halloween). Another difference is the flags! They’re everywhere. Also, tips at restaurants, holidays (like Groundhog Day) and SNAPCHAT is a huge deal here. I was also very excited to see a yellow bus since I’ve always thought it was made for cartoons and didn’t really exist in real life. I never thought that every school would have them. 

What experience have you had that felt the most “American?”

When I went to a school football game and cheered for my school with posters and signs. That was so American since we have no school sport competitions in Czechia. I also tried a pb&j for the first time and made an APPLE PIE! SO DELICIOUS. Another one would be celebrating Halloween. It felt like a movie because every other American horror movie starts with a trick-or-treating scene. On that day I went trick or treating for the first time, dressed up, and carved pumpkins and it was just so much fun :). Other honorable mentions would be Christmas, Friendly’s, country music, and AIR CONDITIONING. It’s not common at all to have air conditioning in your house so that took me a lot of time to get used to. We have our Slavic magic of opening the right windows and doors in the house to make wind throughout the whole house, we don’t need air conditioning haha.

Do you have any favorite memories from your time here so far?

My highlights were definitely Halloween and Niagara Falls! Both were unforgettable experiences and I will be forever grateful for being able to experience them. Being part of the Oakmont musical Mean Girls is my favorite part as well and also try American food! Like Apple Pie, BBQ, Mac&Cheese, and Nerds. 

****What is school like in Czechia?

School is not interactive and not entertaining at all! We have 15 subjects and the school ends around 5-6 PM every day and we can’t choose any classes. The only classes we can choose are languages if the school offers them. We start learning a second language in elementary school, third at middle school and fourth one in high school. We are learning them all at the same time. Every student is required to have at least 3 languages. We also have no after-school activities, sports or clubs. If someone wants to do some sport, they have to find private organizations outside of the school. But that usually doesn’t happen since school ends very late and with exams and homework from each subject, it’s impossible to find a good time. Also ‘Pop up Quizzes’ are very common, so you have to be prepared for each subject in case you have to write a test. This is why I love how American high schools offer so many opportunities to find something you love. I wish we had that in Europe. 

What has been the hardest thing when it comes to studying abroad?

For many exchange students, it’s the language barrier. But I was very lucky to catch up quickly. I would say the hardest things for me are the cultural differences and humor. Humor across cultures differs so much! “Our sense of humor is deeply rooted in our nationhood, our shared view of the world, and the norms that are so familiar to us, but so foreign to others.”It’s so interesting that something would make someone laugh but not everyone. Another thing would be leaving your whole life behind- your friends, family, places and everything you knew before and moving to a place you don’t know at all. It’s like an adventure, not knowing what’s going to happen but exploring so many things about the world and about yourself. But sometimes, it’s hard! But that’s a part of it and I know it’s so worth it. I miss my cat and European bread. And my friends ofc!

How have you overcome the language barrier?

Netflix definitely had a huge impact on my journey to learn English. I wanted to watch shows that did not have Czech dubbing so I had to watch them in English. At the beginning, I did not understand any of them but as time passed, I started to understand some things until I got to a point where I didn’t even need the English subtitles. I also tried to surround myself with as much English as possible to help me get used to the language. 

What has been your favorite thing about studying abroad?

Traveling and meeting new people, learning a new language, living in a new environment and seeing new opportunities every day. But so far my most favorite thing are the people. Every person gives you something. They give you a piece and by building all those pieces together, you become who you are. People shape how you think and how you act and always when I meet someone new, I learn something new.

Have you learned anything about yourself on this journey?

I have learned so much. Seeing the world from a different perspective, seeing how people live and how people think completely changed my point of view. It is so eye-opening and just a priceless experience that helps you realize things you would have never realized otherwise. You become more mature and you grow mentally each day. It is a whole learning experience not only about the world, but about you. By stepping out of your comfort zone, you learn to believe in yourself and learn to be yourself. And that’s a lesson I’ll never forget.