• April 26Morgan's Message Girls' Lacrosse Game May 2nd 6:30 PM Start (ceremony before)

Investigating the struggle of Oakmont student parking

Aiyana Sanborn
The ‘long’ walk to parking lot.

Investigating Parking

Before we start, did you know that the “JPL” is actually called The Tennis Court Lot? There is a misunderstanding here between the students and the administration. There are 157 Seniors in the class of 2024, and only 113 parking spots. “The numbers just don’t match up”, commented Laurie Kortegast, office administration, and head of Parking arrangements. 

In a conversation with Vice Principal Mr. Brian Cote, who monitors the Overlook Parking lot, he expressed how he wishes the parking situation could be better. He said, “I would love every person that has the ability to drive to school . . . to have a space at Oakmont”.

Cote and Kortegast do their best to make it as fair as possible, even giving some students multiple spaces. Some students that park have gotten “snow spots”, which are spots that are taken up in the winter season due to plowed snow. In previous years, students would not be allowed to park in these spots. Kortegast felt like she could do something about this. She ended up giving the students who received spots at Overlook Middle School “temporary spots” so that they didn’t have to park there for the entire year. Cote backs up the idea and is very thankful for Overlook’s contribution to the ongoing complication: “They graciously allowed us to start having some satellite spots up there, specifically during the pandemic, but also for the spots in the back lot that can’t be plowed. Therefore, the students that paid for a spot down here now have a secondary spot up at overlook”. In total, there are 16 spots that are considered ‘snow spots’. 

How Parking Is Assigned

Long story short, the names of everyone are thrown in a hat and chosen randomly. However, it’s not as easy as that to assign them. When seniors get parking spots farther away, one can understand the disappointment. A senior student commented, “I play sports, and I’m in multiple clubs that require a lot of gear to carry and I still have to park in the JPL.” This concern was brought to Mr. Cote – he gets it, but space is an issue. “Everybody can make a case as to why they should park in the back lot or on campus at all, and unfortunately, we just can’t accommodate that. It’s just not possible.” 

He also shared a recent situation. A junior at Oakmont – who was a school choice – had got their license and a car. The parents had asked for their child to park on campus, but Mr. Cote was forced to decline. He followed with, “Every student that is a senior, whether they are school choice or not, has the opportunity to park on campus. If that student is considered a junior, you have to consider that when the student and the family signed up, it is part of the agreement that transportation to and from the school will be provided by the parents or guardians.”

What do you need to get a spot?

First and most importantly, you have to be a senior if you would like a permanent spot. Cote was clear about this, saying, “It is a SENIOR privilege and occasionally for juniors on an emergency basis.” If you are a student in your junior or even sophomore year- depending on your situation- you can go to the main office, talk to Mrs. Kortegast, and request a temporary spot. If you get approved for a temporary spot, she will explain to you where your spot is located and the pricing. Currently, it is five dollars for the first day and then each additional day is an extra dollar. 

Secondly, you will need to fill out the short Junior Parking Survey sent out via email, that you will or already have received from Mrs. Kortegast. This is sent out in the spring after the current seniors graduate. The lovely part about this is that you DO NOT need to have your license and/or a car at this time. Kortegast spoke on this topic and said, “We don’t think it is fair for students to not get a “good” spot just because they don’t have their license at that exact time, so we do allow them to email administration and their names will get entered into the lottery as well.” 

Next, an email blast will go out to you and your class that parking spot assignments are available! Follow the instructions listed in the email. To get a general idea I have made a “what to expect” list of questions that can be found here

Lastly, you just need to prove to the administration that you are using your parking spot fairly frequently throughout the year as there are spot checks done. Good luck and safe parking!