• May 9Prom Saturday 5/18 at the Colonial Hotel!
  • May 9Varsity Baseball and Softball Cancer Awareness Game- Monday 5/13

The strange sites of Long Island

Long Island is a densely populated area in southeastern New York. Sounds pretty normal right? Well, this island also comes with plenty of spooky, even haunted, sites!

Creative Commons Licenses

One of the many places on this strange Island is the former airforce base: Camp Hero, Montauk. In the 1650s, the Montaukett Indians were attacked. This is also the same spot where former President Teddy Roosevelt and the Rough Riders were kept after the Spanish-American war. It is said that this camp (as well as the entire town of Montauk) is haunted by non-human spirits, creatures, and an unsettling history.

Creative Commons Licenses

This is the current Fire Island Lighthouse. There was a caretaker with his son living here once. The son tragically fell ill and the doctor got there too late. Soon afterward, the caretaker also died. There is a rumor that the caretaker’s ghost is still wandering this lonely attraction.

Country House Restaurant in Stony Brook Village may look like your average restaurant. This place is known for being an old colonial house. But it’s supposedly another haunted house. Annette Williamson was murdered during the Revolutionary War by British soldiers. The people who visit this site say that they can hear her cries, running footsteps, and even see flashing light bulbs.

Creative Commons Licenses
    Creative Commons Licenses

Here is another haunted colonial home- Raynham Hall in Oyster Bay. This one was confiscated by the British during the Revolutionary War. Lieutenant Simcoe sent Sally Townsend a love letter. Sally decided to report him and another soldier, Major Andre, to her brother (who worked for George Washington). Later, Andre was captured and killed for conspiracy. This house is now a museum where you can witness the ghost of Saly Townsend.

Creative Commons Licenses

This site is the Old Bethpage Village Restoration. An urban legend goes on that a small boy was shut inside the Conklin house and still haunts the place to this day. Visitors have heard loud banging from inside and even claimed to see a woman standing at the top of the stairs. This isn’t the only haunted house in this village. There are supposedly ghosts at the Schenck Dutch Farmhouse, the reception center, the Hewlett house, the Noon Inn, and more.

This is the Wickham Farmhouse, where horrific murders took place. In 1854, James and Frances Wickham (along with a 14-year-old servant) were axe-murdered in their bedrooms by Nicholas Behan. In 1988 (124 years after the murder), Anne and John Wickham woke up to see dark figures standing over the bed. They decided to seal the room and they never re-entered. Some say that you can still hear the footsteps of Nicholas Behan on the second floor.

There are so many more eerie landmarks you can visit on this strange island and so many spirits lounging around. Lots of visitors come to Long Island for ghost tours, especially around Halloween. Would you dare?

View Comments (1)