• April 26Morgan's Message Girls' Lacrosse Game May 2nd 4:00 PM Start (ceremony before)
  • April 26Morgan's Message Baseball Game May 1st 3:30 PM Start (ceremony before)

Colorguard Competes in NESBA Finals

This past Saturday, April 6, at 6:27pm, the Oakmont Color Guard performed their show titled Inside the Heist for the final time in NESBA Finals. The NESBA competition took place at Salem High School, Salem, MA, which totaled to the guard’s third time going to Salem. Once for a clinic hosted by NESBA and once for another regular competition which had taken place the week before finals. 

From the start of practices for winter guard which was in late December to practices over February break, the group has worked tirelessly, changing parts of their show multiple times to improve their score, spending so much time at Oakmont and Overlook and at home to perfect all of their work. Through much blood, sweat and tears, unfortunate dropping of props, reworking choreography and cutting entire parts out, guard has had a phenomenal final run at Salem. Though they did not win over the course of the season everybody is extremely happy with their placement.

Coming in third with a score of 92.60, coming in strong behind Medford and Wakefield with scores of 95.93 and 95.58 respectively, there were six total units in the winter guard’s division, with the other three competing units being Dover, Shepherd Hill and Blackstone-Millville, all respective to their placements at finals.

With 46 total competing units across all divisions, Salem High School was filled with hustle and bustle. With stunning performances from Dartmouth and Blessed Sacrament, some of the most popular and most loved shows that Oakmont has gotten to watch, even after their own performance Oakmont was still having an amazing day. 

That entire day consisted of arriving at Oakmont for practice starting at 10 and ending at 3, and from then getting on the bus for the hour and fifteen minute ride to Salem. At Salem, a trip to the locker room to leave flag bags then it was straight to stretching and warmups. The entire pre show routine that day felt very rushed and much shorter than usual, many people felt. They had arrived at the competition venue later than usual and it showed. But perhaps it was for the better as when the group went into the main gym for their performance, it was very easily their best performance of the year yet, which is what they practiced and strived so hard for.

Overall, this past finals competition was a very exciting wrap up to the season and especially so for seniors Liv Palubeckis and Callie Robertson. As a last show it was very fun and emotional to end on this high note. With so much work put in it really was a rewarding end.