• April 26Morgan's Message Girls' Lacrosse Game May 2nd 4:00 PM Start (ceremony before)
  • April 26Morgan's Message Baseball Game May 1st 3:30 PM Start (ceremony before)

Winter Ensembles Compete in Salem, Last Competition Before Finals

Gina Richey

On Saturday, March 30, the Winter Percussion and Guard ensembles competed in their last NESBA competition before finals, which will land on April 6th for Winter Guard and April 7th for Winter Percussion. 

The venue at Salem High School has notably been the biggest show of the season so far, amassing a large audience for both performances. This competition was sponsored by the Spartans Indoor Percussion Ensemble, a Spartans Drum and Bugle Corps branch. Which is a renowned and highly respected independent performing arts program. The gym at Salem was a sight to behold, filled with anticipation and excitement that radiated from performers, judges, and audience members. It is an understatement to say that the gym was packed. Many had to stand alongside the large overhead balcony view just to watch since every seat on the gym bleachers was already occupied.

The Winter Guard performed at 1:44 pm, along with three other schools in their division; Wakefield HS, Medford HS, and Shepherd Hill HS. The attitudes of the guard members described by Rachel Koula, a member of the Oakmont Winter and Colorguard, were “really pumped.” As they made their way to the competition after a two-hour-long rehearsal and encouragement from their instructors, the energy carried on with every guard member into their performance, Into the Heist. Rachel Koula notes it was “the best show we had ever done this year,” every member radiated confidence when walking off the floor. “…none of us expected Oakmont-Overlook to be the first ones called,” when scoring was announced from last place to first place. The guard earned a score of 88.51;  Wakefield in first with a score of 92.85, Medford in second with a score of 92.38, and Shepherd Hill in third with a score of 88.72. Keep the energy going, guard! Rachel’s last notes; “This is the best the show has ever looked, so if the judges don’t like it, that’s fine by us.”

The Winter Percussion performed at 6:30 pm, along with six other schools in their division; Shepherd Hill HS, Somerset-Berkley HS, Salem Blue, Salem HS, Stoughton HS Percussion, and Burlington HS. This was the first time the percussion ensemble put on their finished show for the NESBA competition, now completed with the addition of a costume change. The ensemble worked hard the previous week, having a three-hour-long rehearsal before the competition to refine some last-minute details. The results of the new addition and their work were beyond rewarding, earning a score of 92.05 and first place in the Salem, MA competition. Shepherd Hill came second with a score of 88.25, and Somerset-Berkley came in third with a score of 87.15. Congratulations to all members of Oakmont Winter Percussion! As of now, they remain undefeated in first, hopefully carrying through to the final competition.