Breaking News
  • April 26Morgan's Message Girls' Lacrosse Game May 2nd 6:30 PM Start (ceremony before)

Massachusetts Striped Bass Fishing

What is the Most Common Type of Game

What is the most common type of game in Mass you may ask, I’ll tell you it’s the Striped Bass, since the arrival of the pilgrims in 1620 Stripers have inhabited Massachusetts.

Recently the Population of Stripers has dropped due to climate change, low reproduction rates, and recreational fishing pressure. Of 2021 the population of Stripers has dropped below the threshold of 188 million pounds at 143 million pounds. According to the Striped Bass Management Board, it was voted to reduce the slot size for Stripers to rebuild the population. The Board estimates that the population will be rebuilt by 2029.

Equipment for Bass fishing

Bass fishing depends on where, when, luring, or bottom fishing. The basics contain medium-heavy rod with an 8-15 pound line, bass are always on the hunt so bait fish or crawfish should do the trick but if you want you can test what bait best works for you. Try to fish under shady spots, maybe under a hanging tree or near a dock. 

Sophomore Joseph Catalfamo has his own opinion about bass bait, “ Pumpkin bait,” Not an actual pumpkin but the color of it. Sophomore Harris Morand has a different type of approach,” I just use any bait,” This ties in with trying different baits to use.

For bottom fishing you would want to use a lighter rod about 10 feet long with a 6500-size multiplier fixed spool reel. (A shorter rod would be easier to hold for long periods of time.)

A favorite among shore anglers is a running ledger rig, versatile and effective. You can equip the line from a variety of options, the rig can be tied with 1-7m line with 1-3 hooks and accessorized it with bells, beads, and baits. The only limit is your imagination.

I would bring holsters, bells, and a tent for night fishing because you want to be comfortable and hear your rods jingle when the fish are on. The holsters are for your rods, you want to be able to grab your rod and hookset the second you pick it up.

Appropriate footwear can also tie in with being comfortable, wearing sandals on a muddy side of a lake isn’t going to go so well, boots, while heavy, will keep your pants clean and they are still comfortable. I would recommend basic shoes, an old pair would do you good because you don’t want your new pair getting dirty.

Restricted Fishing Techniques

Make sure to follow the guidelines though because remember, the population of Stripers are dropping rapidly. Remember Stripers have inhabited Massachusetts since before the Pilgrims. Losing a species that old that brings joy to fishing is never good.

Never use these fishing techniques:

• Bottom trawling: Dragging a net along the floor of the lake/ocean.
  • Cyanide Fishing: Cyanide is a chemical that can put fish in a daze makes them easier to catch.
  • Bycatch: Catching species that you aren’t fishing for.
  • Use of Explosives: Using explosives to kill fish and have the bodies float up to the surface.
  • Overfishing: Catching more fish than regulations.

If you don’t follow these rules you will be fined up to $1000 and maybe even a month in jail. You don’t want that on a resume.

Basic Fishing Regulations

• Anglers 15 and above need a license
  • Possession of Sturgeons is illegal
  • Fish are not sellable bait
  • Recreational fisherman are allowed to take 1 fish from their catch per day 28”-31”(not including sturgeon)
  • Anglers can only use 1 trap
  • Anglers are allowed to take bait for personal use only by any legal method.

What are you waiting for! Get fishing, in my experience fishing is very enjoyable if you have patience. I recommend fishing in a group. It makes the experience even more enjoyable and wholesome.

Try new fishing spots, maybe enlist for a competition, go outside your comfort zone, try new bait and rods. There are so many things you can do when you fish, the endless possibilities. In the end all you have to do is ask yourself So, am I gonna go fishing?

If you’re looking for fish lengths for possession, open this link! For saltwater and freshwater. https://www.mass.gov/info-details/recreational-saltwater-fishing-regulations

View Comments (2)