Breaking News
  • May 15Oakmont baseball ranked 1st in state . . . other sports also ranked
  • May 15Oakmont hosts robotics competition Thursday
  • May 9Prom Saturday 5/18 at the Colonial Hotel!

Is basketball really as popular as people say it is?

Is basketball really as popular as  people say it is?

Basketball, the five on five player sport where the players treat the ball as if it were gold, is popular all around the world, but is it really as popular as people say it is?

Basketball is well-known  around the world, from the USA to Australia where it is known as netball. We have the NBA, college league, Oakmont Spartans, etc, but we put to the test of if basketball is favored throughout Oakmont Regional High School. 

Research 

After passing out plenty of surveys throughout Oakmont we tallied up the results. With an even number of 30%, shockingly those particular students were the few that do play basketball whether it was in or outside of school. Along with that info, obviously 70% of students don’t play basketball.

Although basketball doesn’t have a lot of love in Oakmont, football came in first with 44% of students playing. In a close second there are 39% of students that play soccer. Lastly, for a tie for third place, baseball/softball and cheer leading both ended up having 32% of students that play. Besides that, 27% of students don’t play any sport at all. 

Basketballs’ History and Fun Facts

• Basketball originated here in Massachusetts in Springfield
  • Originated on December 1, 1891
  • The creator of basketball was a man named James Naismith (1861-1939)
  • 58.3% of people still claim to this day that Micheal Jordan is the greatest of all time while an even 33% of people claim LeBron James has taken over that role, and lastly a 6.8% of people say Kobe Bryant was during the time he was alive
  • Basketball is the most popular sport in America with the Philippines in a close second, and Australia not to far behind
  • Back when basketball first originated, fist fights were very popular unlike modern basketball