La retraite de Madame Therrien

Smiles+forever%21

La retraite de Madame Therrien

By Dani Lewis

Dear students, I believe in every last one of you…” begins the message written in Jacqueline Therrien’s classroom, in which she has taught for most of her eleven years at Oakmont. 

For forty-four years, Therrien has transformed students’ perspectives while teaching foreign languages in England, Germany, and the United States. The time has come for her retirement – or “sa retraite,” as we would say in French class – but not before Oakmont recognizes the profound impact she has made on both students and faculty.

Therrien hails from a small town in England. From a young age, she knew she wanted to become a teacher, and chose the subject of language because she understood it well. Her first two foreign languages to learn were French and German, the former of which she picked up on family vacations to northern France, and she studied both in school. 

She graduated from the University of Exeter with a Bachelor’s in German and French, then studied education at Nottingham. In 1979, Therrien started her teaching career in Feltham, London, where she met quite a few challenges: many students who attended the large school came from tough backgrounds that fostered a tendency to fight, which made them difficult to teach. She calls this period her “baptism by fire”!

From her experience with these students, Therrien’s sense of empathy heightened for those who have less. In addition, her success at the school gave her the confidence she needed to be “on stage every day” and to “roll with the punches”. Working with these students grew Therrien’s patience and perseverance, and allowed her to establish a crucial part of her teaching philosophy: that no matter how strict she was on the kids, she still loved them and they knew it. Therrien feels that a successful teacher gets students to do tough things because they know you love them.

After three years at Feltham, Therrien got a job teaching German at a British military base in Germany, widening her perspective through unique experiences (like driving a tank)! Next, she moved to Michigan and got her first look into teaching in the United States. She returned to England and taught close to her parents’ home for some time, and at last, ended up in Massachusetts.

Therrien worked at Saint Bernard’s High School in Fitchburg, for 18 years. In 2012, she joined Oakmont after hearing they were on the hunt for a French teacher. Here began the final stage of her teaching career, and with a great deal of energy.

Although Oakmont hired Therrien to develop the French curriculum, she played many roles during her time here – teaching World History and French, sitting as a librarian, helping to coordinate the independent studies program, and serving as class advisor. When Oakmont asked Therrien to teach Spanish as well, she took it on – only a chapter ahead of the students. 

To attract more students to the French program, Therrien started the Oakmont French Honor Society in 2016. La Société Honoraire de Français inducted its largest group of students in the fall of ’22, giving it one of its strongest years yet. However, the SHF was always very involved in the school community; running bake sales, making monthly “What The French” episodes, holding National French Weeks, and “frenchifying” the school with labels and posters. The proceeds from bake sales go to charities supporting people in need around the globe, dealing with issues like natural disasters, war, or famine. The Society will continue to spread awareness of and fundraise for the many French-speaking communities in the world.

For sure, Therrien feels that cultural awareness is extremely important. “We will never, as a planet, have peace until we can all talk to each other,” she said, explaining why she teaches language. 

While language and honor societies certainly heighten cultural awareness, Therrien also created opportunities to expand the perspectives of students through travel. Her most recent trip was a European Carousel tour in the summer of ’22, where over 40 students and chaperones explored eight diverse countries – the Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Italy, Switzerland, France, England, and Scotland.

Throughout her experiences at many schools, Therrien led students on several tours. Her first was with 10 students from Feltham, in 1979, where she first realized that the adventure changed the lives of these students. “The conclusion I came to was that travel changes lives, it can open up people’s eyes, it can make them better world citizens, it can do so much.”

She went on to explain how going on one of these trips as a teenager is especially beneficial as it prepares students for post-high-school life by forcing them to persevere. “Yes, I am there for people who need me, and some of the travelers cope better than others, but everyone comes back in some way changed for the better,” she stated. Parents mentioned that they felt very assured with Therrien being the main organizer for the 2022 European Carousel tour, as she is a confident and seasoned traveler.

As a teacher, connecting with parents is great. Connecting with students is fantastic. Therrien has incorporated connection into her teaching style because she believes students learn better from someone they like. She loves them back. “I enjoy being with young people who have enough skill in their own language to converse with you and to tell you their ideas,” she said. “It keeps me young!”

Many language students in Therrien’s classroom can relate to the feeling of having their minds blown! In her French classes, Therrien is known for telling stories that might not feel relevant to the lesson at first, but somehow wrap around to reinforce a point through humor or amazement. History links with language, and language links people. 

Therrien recognizes the beauty and relevance of this teaching style. “It’s not just making connections that help you learn, it’s also making connections with human beings that makes them want to learn from you.”

Indeed, the student body has learned a lot from Therrien. She has educated us about the many wonders of the world, widened our perspectives, and encouraged us to always work hard and be kind. Through trips to Europe, many students made life-long friends and memories. In the French Honor Society, they worked together towards a common cause. Oakmont’s community members became stronger global citizens because of Therrien.

However, Therrien would argue that Oakmont has done more for her. She has had many wonderful memories here, from lunches with faculty, reading Le Petit Prince, and trips to Europe with students. She enjoys teaching every class, for she believes that happiness is a choice. Furthermore, Therrien loves every student and described her belief that people will return what you give –  if you greet others with a smile, you’ve created an excellent classroom environment from the beginning.

Both the faculty and student body have made Therrien’s Oakmont experience fun and unique. She greatly appreciates her fellow teachers, saying “The faculty here is like a family.” As for the students, Therrien finds them to be an “amazing group of adolescents,” adding that “they are listened to. And they are reasonable.” Most recently, she’s worked with the Class Officers of the Class of 2023 as their advisor.

Therrien’s opinion of Oakmont is very positive, stating, “I have always felt that Oakmont is a place that strives to include everyone.” Still, some things can change to improve the school’s language program. In particular, Therrien would like to see the French III and French IV classes remain separate, rather than combined, when they are both running, along with the Spanish classes becoming smaller. This is more fair to the students who are interested in studying language after high school.

There is no doubt that Therrien made an amazing impact on every school she taught in, spreading awareness and making connections everywhere. Oakmont will greatly miss her, and she’ll be leaving behind a strong SHF and thriving French program and the cultural awareness she worked so hard to create.

Therrien will go on to spend her summers by Lake Watatic, Ashburnham, gardening and taking many walks in the sun. She’s also planned trips to the Caribbean, Central America, and Vietnam, with her husband Norm. Once a traveler, always a traveler. 

She might also go back to theater, a hobby she’s enjoyed her whole life. Volunteering or coming back as a French substitute is also in the cards.

The students and teachers of Oakmont, appreciate everything Therrien has done for them, and wish her a safe and happy retirement full of adventure, health, and vibrancy.