• April 26Morgan's Message Girls' Lacrosse Game May 2nd 4:00 PM Start (ceremony before)
  • April 26Morgan's Message Baseball Game May 1st 3:30 PM Start (ceremony before)

Album review: Superache

Superache is an album written by Lyricist and Musician Conan Gray; it is his sophomore album. Superache was released June 24th, 2022.  The hype of his first album which blew up during 2020 skyrocketed his career and nobody really knew if he could beat the sophomore album curse.

Superache album cover. (Anthony Fidler)

The album Superache is a story of someone who has gone through hell emotionally, rather it be from failed love, failed friendships, or a bad home life, it’s something anyone could relate to. It has a mix of really sad slow acoustic guitars, very generic pop, and then an incredibly well produced final track. Superache is an emotional roller coaster and here is how I would rank the songs worst from best. (Even though no song is bad on this album there are some that fall low.)

12: Best friend

Best friend to me is the worst song on Superache. It’s not necessarily bad, but it is definitely the weakest. My major problem is the unnecessary swears throughout the track; it seems like it’s every other line. At first listen I really didn’t like but it has grown on me a lot since. A solid 6.4/10

11: Yours

Even though Yours is one of Conan’s best vocally sounding songs, it never really hit for me. It’s an incredible track on an incredible album and it isn’t a bad song. For me, it is a solid 7/10 but against other songs on the album, it’s easy to put it bottom 2.

10: People Watching

People Watching is a good song about exactly what the title says. People watching. The song explains how the singer wants to feel all that love and emotion he sees others experiencing from his people watching hobby. It’s a good 7.3/10

9: Summer Child

Summer Child is a pretty song. It’s very short, only being two minutes long but it’s heart shattering. It’s a very slow paced song about someone as a kid always putting others before themselves and has incredibly beautiful lyrics. The only thing keeping it back so much is the run time. It’s a good 7.5/10 

8: Astronomy

Astronomy is a very heartbreaking track for me because of how much I am able to relate to it. It’s about how two people will never be able to be together because they are two worlds apart. It’s hard for me to put it down in the bottom 5 but I feel like there are better songs on the album. 7.8/10

7: Disaster

Disaster is a very fun song that’s about how someone could mess up their relationship with someone if they’re reading it all wrong and how it would result in a disaster. It’s very fun to listen to and I never get bored of it. The music video for it is fun and the lyrics are great. 8/10

6: Movies

Movies is the album opener and it puts you straight into the world of Superache. It’s a song about someone wanting love but learning that real life isn’t like the movies. The lyrics are incredible and show a shift in musical ability since his first album. I’m happy with its placement at number 6. Id rate it a 8.4/10

5: Memories

This might be a very controversial pick as it’s the most popular song off the album but I feel like there are more better and more emotional songs that’s why I rank it top 5. The song itself is about someone having someone stuck in their memories and this person will not leave them alone, resulting in them not being able to forget about them. It’s a great song, 9/10.

4: Footnote

Footnote will always hold a place in my heart for how beautiful it is. I love this song and in my opinion it’s the most underrated on the whole album. It deserves way more hype. It’s theme is something that I feel like a lot of people will be able to relate to with being a Footnote in someones life. The lyrics in this song are some of Conan’s best lyrics, in my opinion, that hes ever written. He executed it perfectly with the delivery.

3: Jigsaw

Jigsaw is a song that I feel a lot of people are able to relate to with having to change yourself to fit in with someone like your a jigsaw puzzle. Its really sad and the way Conan executed it with a rock type song instead of his usual. The Jigsaw chants throughout the middle of the song and just how loud it is makes it amazing. 9.5/10.

2: The Exit

The Exit might be Conan’s best produced song ever. The ending of The Exit always makes me levitate and I love how this is the ending track for the album. Like we took a step into the Superache Hotel and now are checking out at The Exit. the songs lyrics are top notch and beautiful. The verse “Feels like we had matching wounds, But mine’s still black and bruised, And yours is perfectly fine now, Feels like we buried alive, Something that never died So God, it hurt when I found out” is amazing to me and it always makes me emotional while hearing it with Conan’s heart breaking voice. The song itself is about someone leaving the other while the other is way more hurt, like they left theme standing at The Exit.  10/10 song for me 

1: Family Line

Family Line is a song about what you’d expect. I feel bad ranking it as its Conan’s most personal song and has cried multiple times while performing it. But from someone who grew up with not the best childhood I believe this is a song that can truly represent me. Besides all that the lyrics and production in this song are among Conan’s top ever it’s so heart breaking hearing it each time. It’s my most streamed song of 2022 for a reason because it was so beautiful and really showed that  people who suffered a lot when they were kids have a voice. 10/10

Superache will always be my favorite album ever made and it’s amazing to me. Definitely my favorite release from 2022 and my favorite work from a musician ever. If you haven’t listened to Superache before this is me telling you to listen to it because it’s a once and lifetime opportunity to hear this beautiful album for the first time.

View Comments (4)