Breaking News
  • April 26Morgan's Message Girls' Lacrosse Game May 2nd 4:00 PM Start (ceremony before)
  • April 26Morgan's Message Baseball Game May 1st 3:30 PM Start (ceremony before)

Opinion: My Top 5 Albums of 2023

Nick Hill

My Favorite Albums of 2023

This year has had a lot of great and horrible albums (just like every year before it). This is the first year I have been keeping up with major album releases and listening to new releases throughout the year. Now, I will say these are not the BEST albums to release this year, and it isn’t just gonna be a list of the most major releases this year. These are MY PERSONAL favorites from this year. I recommend all of these and you guys should at least give one of them a chance that sounds interesting. Now here is the list (IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER!!!!)

GUTS– Olivia Rodrigo

This might be my favorite album from this year personally. This improves on SOUR in every way in my opinion. The writing has improved; her voice has improved and the general vibe is just better. SOUR will always be a classic, but GUTS is just the better album. It had consistent bangers as well as emotional moments that peaked the entire record for me, especially “Making the Bed” and “Teenage Dream”, and it does have its fair share of bangers, like “Ballad of a Homeschooled Girl” and “Love is Embarrassing” which have been consistently on repeat for me. I love this album and how it expands on SOUR in its themes and writing. This is a definite highlight and a must-listen from this year. 

Favorite song: Teenage Dream

10,000 Gecs – 100 Gecs

Our second sophomore album on this list already! This is the highly anticipated second album from 100 Gecs. Now I’m going to be honest, I didn’t like their debut too much. There were bangers definitely, but for the most part, it was just ok. But this album, on the other hand, really shows the versatility of this duo. They take the worst and most annoying parts of music from the past decade or so, and they turn it into bangers and make it WORK. Every song here is so unique and feels like it adds to their sound in different ways. This album is a bit silly, and they never take themselves too seriously but it just works with their style and vibe and not everything needs to be deep and emotional. (Although, I’m going, to be honest, I am not the biggest fan of “One Million Dollars” – it feels unfinished and unrealized but that’s the only skip for me.)

Favorite song: Doritos and Fritos 

The Rise and Fall of a Midwest Princess – Chappell Roan

This is Chappell Roan’s debut album; it’s been mostly released as singles throughout the year, but in the fall of this year, it was finally released as a complete project. This is one of the most unique pop albums I’ve heard this year, particularly with its lyrics and its portrayal of love. It uses physical attraction in such a unique way and uses it to build its emotional moments.  It’s also just full of bangers. Super unique and confident debut and I can’t wait to see what she does next!

Favorite song: Casual

Wallsocket – underscores 

This is also a runner-up for my absolute favorite album to release this year. Every song on here contributes to its themes and honestly, I could talk about this album and its meaning all day, but this is just an overview. This album has really good pacing and perfectly balances its cynical bangers with its slow emotional moments. It has a consistent theme that builds up in every song and has a major payoff in its ending track. It tells a story throughout and although hard to follow, once you understand it bring this album to a new level. This thing hits you like a truck and I HIGHLY recommend it. 

Favorite song: Locals (girls like us)

Angel Face – Stephen Sanchez 

This is another super unique pop album that was released this year. I love this because it uses a ’60s sound and brings back that era. The vocals feel raw and emotional, especially because they try to bring back an old vibe, so there is no autotune and lower-quality vocals. It sounds like it is being recorded live in a ballroom, with its echoes. And the whole album uses this sound and it’s so unique. The love songs feel like they are reaching out across an audience to reach you and it just gives me the biggest emotional rush whenever these songs get loud. And there are just bangers, like all the songs here are so good. Like yeah, there are a couple of forgettable ones, but the ones that bring back all these ‘60s styles are so cool and I love this.

Favorite song: Only Girl

Those are my favorite albums to release this year, there were more I wanted to include, but I felt they were too obscure. There were’t a lot of major releases this year and smaller artists/bands kinda carried so it made this more list more difficult. I recommend you listen to at least one of these albums that interest you.

View Comments (1)